Thread: Public Papers of JFK 1961

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Yes, when you get some time I look forward to your longer answer. Bush the first was the only President ever to be Director of CIA before becoming President, do you think that helped his more realistic world view?
    President Bush Senior was well groomed to lead the nation based on his military experience, assignment to China, Director of the CIA, and 8 years as VP. Just finished reading the chapter in Kofi Annan's book "Interventions," that stated the first part of the mission to Somalia (under President Bush) went off very well. I was the subsequent mission under Clinton that was problematic. He didn't describe it that way, but on the other hand he didn't hold back when discussing Clinton and Albright. Anyway I think Bush did O.K. with Somalia policy.

JFK wrote and spoke well about special warfare, but in practice I didn't see his administration as very effective based on my studies. Maybe given more time he would have proven himself to be strategically competent. His flame was exguished pre-maturely.

I don't know if you can look at each administration strickly from optic of UW/FID/IW, but you have to look at their foreign policy as whole. In some cases avoiding engagements proved to be a good decision and of course in others we probably needed to get involved but failed to do so. Those good at miniminizing our involvement were Ike and President Bush Sr. Bush Sr. When Bush Sr did engage he almost always ensured the military objectives were clear and achievable.

He learned as he went, but overall I'm fan of President Reagan for a lot of reasons. Although Congress did the heavy lifting he authorized the formation of USSOCOM which literally transformed our Special Operations Forces which significantly enhanced our ability to conduct FID/UW/IW. I doubt we would have seen the successes that SOF has had if it wasn't for Reagan.

Bush Jr aggressively employed SOF, but it is still debatable (in my opinion) if his strategy was effective or simply made the problem worse? He certainly didn't have an end game in mind.

Obama in the future when we have the ability to look at his administration with less emotion may prove to be one of the best for effectively waging FID/UW/IW. I know that comment will draw fire, but I'm calling it the way I see it.

Thumbs up Good Job

Bill, very thoughtful response. You did a pretty Objective analysis IMO.