Thread: The New Plan for Iraq

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

From JC
    After years of repression and mistrust, do the Sunni, Shi'a, and Kurds have the capacity to "bury the hatchet" and at least move towards the path of national reconciliation?
    I only see couple of ways to convince people and both of them begin with a requirement that an exceptable standard of living (circus tent of subjective stuff under that) be available for all, so that category of "survival" is removed. The quickest path I think means figuring out how to get what's underground out of the ground and converted to a better standard of living for all. Yes, there are allot of links in doing that from extraction to refinement to distribution to a system that disburses profits evenly without the skimming as it makes its way down the line. Once you get the basic needs met and convince people they have some hope of a better life, people are probably more willing to consider their differences over chai, vs. over a PKC. Iraq's petroleum and natural gas reserves are the most valuable resource in terms of guarenteed profits that could effect Iraq's situation across the board. You can bury allot of hatchets I've seen up here with $$$. It might not get to all the problems, it might even create a few others, but it would buy time to resolve some other things, some of which might get resolved on their own.

I beleive they have to convince themselves there is more benefit moving forward together then apart. That is going to be very hard for them to do. Baghdad has become such a flashpoint and media event, psychologically its effecting the whole region. Security there will dampen it I think and allow for feelings to subside outside of Baghdad at least.

The other way is burying the hatchet - just not in the dirt. Lots of that, I just wonder when or if they ever get tired of it? History says it could go on indefinetly. Makes you wonder if it were just Shiite, or just Sunni what the level of violence would be?
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 01-18-2007 at 06:29 AM.