Thread: Rifle squad composition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    P.S: The Part III of the Appendix (p. 239) has some of the many observations in the book. Interesting aspects are the close link between observes with telescopes and aerial photography or the close cooperation between machine guns, snipers and artillery with the observer with the so priced telescopes.
    Yep, that's the part of the book most "Snipers" don't bother reading. (It's Part IV, Appendix C, page 192 in the Leo Cooper 1994 Edition.) I strongly recommend all of the Appendix. It shows how far many modern sniper doctrines have strayed from the original intent, and yet cling to the least relevant parts.

Hopefully UK operations in Afghanistan are forcing some long over-due changes.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

It's OK for a picket team, but I wouldn't include a spotter scope into a squad in general. It's enough if two are available at the platoon sergeant's vehicle.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    It's OK for a picket team, but I wouldn't include a spotter scope into a squad in general. It's enough if two are available at the platoon sergeant's vehicle.
    Not sure I agree. If you want every fire-team in the platoon to be able to perform an OP task, then a good tripod mounted spotting scope per team is a good idea. Having said that, something like this maybe a much better choice lb for lb.

....and yes, it's Israeli, but I've actually played with it, so I'm more confident in it's recommendation.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

That's strange. I thought I knew that you like the equipment pool concept.

It's called "Mutterschiff " (concept) concept in Germany. An infantry squad has a mothership (Boxer APC) where it leaves all unnecessary equipment. This allows for much more equipment for choice than the squad could reasonably carry at once. A squad .50BMG rifle and Pzf3 munitions, for example.

I applied this to the platoon for even less often needed equipment; a spotting scope, for example.
    So there would be a squad mothership and a platoon mothership (platoon Sgt vehicle).

I would assign spotting scopes to the latter because it's unlikely that the platoon needs to equip more than two observation posts with such a device.

The utility of such a scope is after all
    - to detect/identify something far away (beyond the normal area of interest/weapon range of infantry)
    - to identify suspicious objects within weapon range (but at the upper end of it) that could not be identified with binoculars (snipers).
    Both preferably from a fixed position.

The long range aspect reduces the quantitative requirement; a platoon could make do with two easily in almost all situations.

We should also keep in mind that monocular optics are quite exhausting to the eye and have a very small field of view due to their strong magnification; they're therefore not very good for general observation tasks (detecting movements).

- - - - -

Thermal sensors are great for the detection of otherwise adequately camouflaged targets/objects and for looking/aiming through simple smoke - and not for much else afaik.

I like the concept of a sensible pool of ressources strapped to an AFV or stored in a combat outpost. I think there is a natural tendency by the boots on the ground to do just that. If they do so always with sensible stuff is another question.

Thinking of the example in this post I can see how 4-6 spotting scopes for a platoon in an Combat outpost on an Afghan hilltop could make quite a difference. Perhaps a mixture between larger and smaller ones would be wise.

Let us take the mission of this platoon. Basically you would want to have at least a spotting scope in an overwatch position, best if teamed with an GPMG, a DM, HE-projector and someone capable to control and direct indirect fire. With binos and something like CORAL-CR (target acquisition capabilities and thermal sensor) you have a complete sensor package to support your other elements around and in the village quickly. This means something from 6-9 people.

On of the other elements might also want to have one spotting scope if the establish an OP outside or inside the village. In this specific instance it could also have been helpful. So you have a need for something between two and four spotting scopes, with the others remaining at the outpos. Others may need less, while under some (very) rare circumstance not even one might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs
    The utility of such a scope is after all
    - to detect/identify something far away (beyond the normal area of interest/weapon range of infantry)
    - to identify suspicious objects within weapon range (but at the upper end of it) that could not be identified with binoculars (snipers).
    Both preferably from a fixed position.
    Agreed, although many underestimate the ability to get a quick stable position with a spotting scope, especially in the 15-30x range.

We should also keep in mind that monocular optics are quite exhausting to the eye and have a very small field of view due to their strong magnification; they're therefore not very good for general observation tasks (detecting movements).
    I do not agree with the notion that they are that exhausting. If you cover your passive eye up and look with both eyes open through a good optic you don't tire too easily. Still I would swap eyes after 10-15 minutes, perhaps even before. For general movement detection binos are usually far better, however for small movements in distant places spotting scopes are great. With a 30x fixed eyepiece you have roughly a field of view of 35-40m at 1000m.

Firn
    Last edited by Firn; 11-25-2009 at 01:10 PM.

I meant "fixed position" tactically, not mechanically; a unit not moving. Spotting scopes aren't what a patrol leader would use on a 30 sec stop.

I have a dominant eye (which happens to have less sight clarity nevertheless). Viewing through a monocular with the other one is very tiring - and the idea of binoculars is very much based on the notion that binoculars are less straining to use.

Council Member

News from UK.

The British Army is already providing an immediate
    response by redeploying 7.62 mm L96 sniper
    rifles (made surplus by the arrival of the L115
    .338 rifles) and 7.62 mm L7 General Purpose
    Machine Guns (GPMGs) down to section level,
    carried by foot patrols. This is good, but not
    ideal; the manually-loaded L96 is slow-firing,
    the GPMG very heavy.
    http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/btbjdw.pdf

It seems that 1 unit has HK 417 in squad.