Thread: The Kurds are a changing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Turkish-Kurd Tensions Spill Into Europe's Streets.

Turkish-Kurd tensions spill into Europe's streets

Here.

Berlin - The simmering tensions in Turkey's Kurdish southeast are not only playing out along the country's border with Iraq, where the military has amassed tens of thousands of troops following renewed clashes with Kurdish rebels holed up in Iraq's mountainous north. They're also spilling onto the streets of European cities from Berlin to Brussels to Innsbruck, Austria.

This weekend, authorities are braced for another round of protests in the German capital, where two weeks ago Turkish ultranationalists attacked a Kurdish cultural center, wielding machetes and injuring dozens of people. Last weekend, some 600 mainly Kurdish protesters returned to Hermannplatz – a square in Berlin's heavily immigrant Neukölln district – to inform the public of their view: that Turkey is still repressing the Kurdish people.
    I don't quite know what to make of this. As I read it I was reminded of this report from earlier this year:

Iraq's Shadow Widens Sunni-Shiite Spit in US

Here.

Twice recently, vandals have shattered windows at three mosques and a dozen businesses popular among Shiite Muslims along Warren Avenue, the spine of the Arab community here.

Although the police have arrested no one, most in Dearborn’s Iraqi Shiite community blame the Sunni Muslims.
    Last edited by SethB; 11-10-2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Punctuation Error.