Thread: Why is Egypt Airing Insurgent TV from Iraq?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm not surprised with Egypt. A lot of terrorists that come to Iraq for suicide missions are from Egypt and Saudi Arabia - it's okay for them to mass murder civilians and coalition forces.

I wish America would put more pressure on the egyptian government rather than announce a $20 billion aid package for them.

After all Hosni Mubarak declared hanging Saddam made him a 'martyr'.
    Mubarak and Saddam were good friends secretly.
    Last edited by ali_ababa; 10-23-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Default Why is Egypt Airing Insurgent TV from Iraq?

Egypt has stopped the transmission of a private Iraqi TV station which glorifies the Sunni insurgency in Iraq.

Nice since they receive more of our foreign aid dollars than any other country out there (other than Israel).
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

Interesting that this is posted here today. While slogging along the I-95 parking lot into DC today I was listening to Woodward's new book. Supposedly Mubarak was plotting through Sunni insurgents to oust Maliki during the early Surge until he got a firm slap from the US.

Council Member politicsbyothermeans's Avatar

Was the slap firm enough?

The number of bad guys we found with traceable Egyptian backgrounds, even if only while in transit to the OE, was and is entirely unacceptable.

Al-Zawraa TV, which is known for airing videos of attacks by insurgent groups on US forces
    Playing the Devil's Advocate:
    So now the U.S. is about censorship?

We claim we want to bring democracy and Western liberties to other countries but then we actively try to suppress them when they are exercised?

Aren't rights for everyone, not just people we like?

If Cuba and Russia, or even Cuba and Canada petitioned the U.S. to stop the Radio Marti broadcasts, would we comply or tell them to put it were the sun shineth not?

Personally, I think taking out their transmitters and servers (either physical destruction or hacking) would be one of the extremely few acceptable uses of covert (as opposed to clandestine) action.

Council Member politicsbyothermeans's Avatar

Van, agree with you personally and not sure what to say about the advocacy position save that with rights come responsibility. While I see your point, after a few tours dealing with those who were incited to violence, martyrdom and general terrorist tomfoolery by the stations in question, I would be more than happy to see them finding sudden difficulties transmitting due either to raging fires in the general vicinity or some sort of unordered software retrogrades.
    In war there is no prize for the runner-up.