View Poll Results: What is the near-term future of the DPRK

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will fall into chaos as a result of renewed famine and poverty, resulting in military crackdowns.

3 15.79%
  • There will be a military coup that displaces the current leadership, hopefully soon.

4 21.05%
  • It will continue to remain a closed society, technologically dormant and otherwise insignificant.

12 63.16%
  • The leadership will eventually make a misstep, forcing military action from the United States.

0 0%

Thread: North Korea: 2012-2016

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Naw

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    That analogy does not relate to what is being discussed. You care to try again?
    This one must be beyond me.

Perhaps you'd care to point out a more accurate one
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    This one must be beyond me.

Perhaps you'd care to point out a more accurate one
    May I suggest that before we get hung-up on analogies you return to the original story and try to understand the dynamics of what is happening there.

Simply put the big guy on the street has told the kids to take their squabble to the back alley... and they have.

Now look towards a flex of Chinese muscle over this incident with Japan supposedly over fishing rights but really over their respective East China Sea exclusive economic zones. Any guess who is going to back down?

Banned

Default Japan backs down

Now look towards a flex of Chinese muscle over this incident with Japan supposedly over fishing rights but really over their respective East China Sea exclusive economic zones. Any guess who is going to back down?
    Sad but pretty predictable.

Japan backs down, will release Chinese fisherman

I just hope that the people who laughed when I predicted this are not in any significant decision making positions... anywhere.

Thumbs up Well, I laughed..

Because it was totally predictable; stating the obvious, so to speak...

What else were they going to do to him in this day and age? It's diplomatic pushing and shoving; goes on constantly all over the world.

Fortunately, I am NOT in a decision making position, significant or otherwise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Because it was totally predictable; stating the obvious, so to speak...

What else were they going to do to him in this day and age? It's diplomatic pushing and shoving; goes on constantly all over the world.

Fortunately, I am NOT in a decision making position, significant or otherwise.
    I see a lot of Chinese pushing but not a lot of return shoving...

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Sad but pretty predictable.

Japan backs down, will release Chinese fisherman

I just hope that the people who laughed when I predicted this are not in any significant decision making positions... anywhere.
    Predictable of course, I don't see how it's particularly sad. These fishing boat incidents happen all the time in East Asia, not only with Chinese boats, and they always end the same way. It's really not a big deal, never has been.

All I laughed at was the idea that the S would or should get involved, which is of course absurd.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    Predictable of course, I don't see how it's particularly sad. These fishing boat incidents happen all the time in East Asia, not only with Chinese boats, and they always end the same way. It's really not a big deal, never has been.

All I laughed at was the idea that the S would or should get involved, which is of course absurd.
    You did?

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

You did?
    Yes, actually. When you wrote this:

China clearly feels it is strong enough to take on Japan over what was probably a contrived incident. Asia is watching this one very carefully. Will the US show some leadership or just sit on its hands?
    All I wrote was this:

Why would the US need to show leadership in a dispute between Japan and China?
    But I laughed a bit while writing it. Maybe I should have added a "LOL", though it wasn't that loud.

Banned

[QUOTE=Dayuhan;107041]All I wrote was this:

Why would the US need to show leadership in a dispute between Japan and China?
    The first would be this: U.S. and Japan Mutual Defense Assistance Agreement

And then this: China – Japan strife spotlights a strategic U.S. vulnerability