Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
There has to be a war?
To change the status quo? As I said, if anyone has a realistic suggestion for a way to significantly change the status quo without a war, I'm all ears. Haven't seen one yet. The North Korean regime is not going to change because we want it to change, and an effort to compel change could have all kinds of potential consequences, up to and including war.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
I'm all ears waiting for an explanation of the risks relating to doing effectively nothing.
The status quo has risks, certainly, and as Bill points out it certainly sucks for the North Koreans. Whether or not that would make it worth an effort to alter the status quo would depend on what realistic means for altering it are available and on what the associated risks are. The status quo may not be wonderful, but it's manageable. Hardly worth rocking the boat unless you've very good reason to believe doing so would improve matters.

In the absence of any realistic strategy for improving the status quo, what's wrong with staying with it? It's not ideal, but neither is it intolerable.