Quote Originally Posted by orange dave View Post
...The only costs this would impose on the US would be what it has already had to put up with.
I doubt that would be true. I think there are many hidden costs there -- and I'm not talking solely fiscal...
Also, this isn't really an apology to anyone, but rather to ourselves. So maybe a better way to think of this would be a congressional panel convened to investigate how well containment schemes work or something...
Congress is a monumental waste of time and taxpayer money. They are venal and more concerned with their party than they are with the good of the nation. Every commission they have created in the memory of living man has been a farce and done more harm than good. The political infighting that would go on in a commission as you suggest would make the US a bigger laughing stock worldwide than we already are thanks to too many such schemes.
Whatever happened, it would require a lot of creativity on the part of a lot of people to dilute the political risk to acceptable levels.
Exactly -- and that is in shorty supply; critically short -- that's why it is not a viable idea.

That and the hidden costs.