Thread: Library Organization

Default Library Organization

How about creating a section divided by authors? Civilian or military, friend or foe. The section should contain articles and editorials by authors like Boot, Kaplan, Nagl, McMaster, and Kilcullen, as well as translated pieces by from the other side like the "al-Hakim" mentioned in the Jamestown.org article posted in the thread about AQ evolving.

jonSlack, Great minds think alike. Behind the scenes, we are migrating content from the static HTML-based pages you see now, to a database-driven container that allows multiple sorts and views, blog-like user comments, etc. More info here. That should offer 90% of what you're asking, with max versatility for the users.

That is ongoing now. Will turn it on once we know it works. No ETA, working as fast as we can.

Talking Need for a Study

No ETA, working as fast as we can.
    Hmm I see a need for a staff study for the manning of SWJ. To be meaningful, it would require at least $10K, 6 months to complete an initial study (one that would call for another $10K to complete the inherently complex report explaining the assymetric nature of the SWJ operational environment) even as it calls for a larger headquarters to C2 the whole operation...this of course means that you could no longer waste manpower by both of you rowing the boat; one of you would have to become captain of the boat and the captain would need a navigator and a cook/personal assistant and of course someone to beat a drum for the poor Sierra Oscar Bravo still stuck on the oars...

We could call it....

wait for it....

are you ready?

Transformation!

A joke --obviously (I hope)!

You guys amaze me by your speed and drive to do better

Best

Tom

Default Organization

I think what you recently did with member status, et al (I think you changed it since my last membership and subsequent trip south) was a good move.
    That is, a new or junior member should at least complete 10 or more posts to move to "member" status. Senior status should take somewhat more, say 25 posts. I evolved rather quickly the first time around and even wrote Tom to ask what happened.

I would however modify the way we reach that Member or Senior Member level. Simply posting that " I completely agree with you" should have no bearing on a junior member's rating. We are all very creative people here and we should be asking for that from our members. It's what makes this forum what it is.

Regards, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reber View Post
    I think what you recently did with member status, et al (I think you changed it since my last membership and subsequent trip south) was a good move.
    That is, a new or junior member should at least complete 10 or more posts to move to "member" status. Senior status should take somewhat more, say 25 posts. I evolved rather quickly the first time around and even wrote Tom to ask what happened.

I would however modify the way we reach that Member or Senior Member level. Simply posting that " I completely agree with you" should have no bearing on a junior member's rating. We are all very creative people here and we should be asking for that from our members. It's what makes this forum what it is.

Regards, Stan
    How many posts do you need for "SUPREME ALLIED COMMANDER?"

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    How many posts do you need for "SUPREME ALLIED COMMANDER?"
    1,856 posts.

FYI on member ranks.

Will move shortly to this structure:
    - Registered User (0 through 9 posts), AKA FNG
    - Council Member (10+)

The quality of the contribution speaks for itself, and we all know who is most active and not. We figure we have no use for junior and senior. That rank structure was the default setting for the software, which we are moving past. Experimented last week to confirm how to do the conversion. Later this week, in conjunction with forum add mentioned here, will implement.

Quote Originally Posted by SWCAdmin View Post
    FYI on member ranks.

Will move shortly to this structure:
    - Registered User (0 through 9 posts), AKA FNG
    - Council Member (10+)

The quality of the contribution speaks for itself, and we all know who is most active and not. We figure we have no use for junior and senior. That rank structure was the default setting for the software, which we are moving past. Experimented last week to confirm how to do the conversion. Later this week, in conjunction with forum add mentioned here, will implement.
    Sounds good. Do we have a rough outline of what the AOs and interest groups will be?

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Sounds good. Do we have a rough outline of what the AOs and interest groups will be?
    No baby pictures. Will show the ugly little tike in public here real soon.

Council Member

Default Losing the plot

I think I have lost the plot on this thread, but assuming it still has something to do with organizing a library I saw a couple of days ago where The University of Texas has reached an agreement with Google to digitize one million volumes from its rather impressive library. It is possible that some of those volumes may be relevant to the SWJ mission and could possible be linked. Copyright issues will limit some of the availability, but the books will be searchable.

Concur. Portions of thread moved here for continued bears / djinni dialog.