Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2008

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I went back into "On War" again this week, along with the 1940 SWM. Working up to diving back into some regimental records from the late 1860s later this month for some research.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default The Day of Battle

Nothing much "Small" about the Italian campaign (even the 1st Special Service Force and the Rangers got used {or mis-used...or abused} conventionally, but...Atkinson's prose is outstanding
    "THIS is my boomstick!"

Council Member

I just picked up a copy of After War: The Political Economy of Exporting Democracy by Christopher Coyne.

Default "Leaderless Jihad", by Marc Sageman

I just set down my copy of "Leaderless Jihad", by Marc Sageman. I liked the book as it is based on a real data set, is empirical in nature, and has minimal anecdotal evidence. He misses the point in a few places and he nails a few peacocks to the board if you know what I mean.

Here are some slides of a presentation he did on the book.

Here is a great video presentation of a talk he did about the book.

As I said his research is pretty good though he pushes the boundaries of his results and fails in some cases to bring in historical evidence to support or refute his own claims.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.