Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2008

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    I'll jump back in on my own thread. I'm now finishing The Naked and the Dead (AMAZING book that I'd never read--I think the claims that it is the best novel about World War II are accurate. Despite the title, it is not about Tom Odom's most recent marriage). Getting ready to start Brian Linn's The Echo of Battle: The Army's Way of War. Oh, and this little ditty.
    Oh Lordy

I get no respect.....

BTW your idol/idiot was on CNN this AM

That would be of course Doug Feith

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Oh Lordy

BTW your idol/idiot was on CNN this AM

That would be of course Doug Feith
    I held my nose and ordered the book. I figure I'll need to at least know what's in it when I do interviews or talks on my book. Nagl said he lost what little respect he had for me when I told him that a few minutes ago.

Council Member

Just started Keegan's Face of Battle yesterday, ashamed to say I hadn't read it before, fantastic so far.

Low Intensity Conflicts in India by LTCOL Vivek Chadha, Hew Strachan's biography of Clausewitz' On War and re-reading Beaufre's An Introduction to Strategy

For fun (as opposed to work) I have some texts I picked up on leave in Jo'Burg. I am half way through 'Assignment Selous Scouts' by Jim Parker and have 'Executive Outcome's by Eeben Barlow in the queue.

And the daily BUA..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    Low Intensity Conflicts in India by LTCOL Vivek Chadha, Hew Strachan's biography of Clausewitz' On War and re-reading Beaufre's An Introduction to Strategy

For fun (as opposed to work) I have some texts I picked up on leave in Jo'Burg. I am half way through 'Assignment Selous Scouts' by Jim Parker and have 'Executive Outcome's by Eeben Barlow in the queue.

And the daily BUA..
    Hey mate!

Welcome back!

Tom

Cheers Tom,

Not 'back' yet in the physical sense, I have just been lurking when I can get access and have a spare moment... hence not posting on many of the things that I might otherwise.... guess you could say it is a kind of virtual self censorship for obvious reasons.

Tried to email you the other day at what I thought was your work address but it bounced back. Not sure if it is a problem with the firewall at my end or if I have the wrong address. Can't send it by PM (FOUO) , it related to the COIN handbook post(s). PM me a .mil address when you get the chance and I will send it from the 'office' tomorrow morning.

regards,

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post

And the daily BUA..
    Hmmm... outstanding choices, with the exception of the EO book. Not sure I'd trust the source on that one. I suspect the real story is in what's not been put on the page!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Hmmm... outstanding choices, with the exception of the EO book. Not sure I'd trust the source on that one. I suspect the real story is in what's not been put on the page!
    I definitely regard the EO book as 'pulp fiction' - but who doesn't like a 'ripping yarn' every now and then to distract from reality?

Cheers

Mark

Finally got round to starting Afghanistan & the Troubled Future of Unconventional Warfare. Nice to see a SOF guy focus on the meat and potatos stuff rather than the importance of DAs on HVTs.

Recently finished The Looming Tower ... now that's a book that just makes you shake your head. Also knocked off Life in the Emerald City ... it predates my Green Zone tour by about a month but is a pretty good reflection of the frustatrions anyone in uniform had with the civvy side of things over there.

I'm just starting Dan Byman's The Five Front War: The Better Way to Fight Global Jihad. Most excellent; highly recommended.