Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2008

Council Member

Default What Are You Currently Reading? 2008

Reading the 1986 edition of FM 100-5, Operations. Not exactly Small Wars material, but interesting to go back and take a look at what, and how, we were thinking in the last years of the Cold War. Much easier reading at any rate than either of the FM 3-0, Operations.

I went back into "On War" again this week, along with the 1940 SWM. Working up to diving back into some regimental records from the late 1860s later this month for some research.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default The Day of Battle

Nothing much "Small" about the Italian campaign (even the 1st Special Service Force and the Rangers got used {or mis-used...or abused} conventionally, but...Atkinson's prose is outstanding
    "THIS is my boomstick!"

Default "Leaderless Jihad", by Marc Sageman

I just set down my copy of "Leaderless Jihad", by Marc Sageman. I liked the book as it is based on a real data set, is empirical in nature, and has minimal anecdotal evidence. He misses the point in a few places and he nails a few peacocks to the board if you know what I mean.

Here are some slides of a presentation he did on the book.

Here is a great video presentation of a talk he did about the book.

As I said his research is pretty good though he pushes the boundaries of his results and fails in some cases to bring in historical evidence to support or refute his own claims.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

I just picked up a copy of After War: The Political Economy of Exporting Democracy by Christopher Coyne.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    Reading the 1986 edition of FM 100-5, Operations. Not exactly Small Wars material, but interesting to go back and take a look at what, and how, we were thinking in the last years of the Cold War. Much easier reading at any rate than either of the FM 3-0, Operations.
    It bl**dy well is!

Currently reading Ron Leshem's "Beaufort" a novel about the last days of the IDF occupation of the Lebanon. One of the very few novels of books to give an accurate IDF soldiers view point.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

I'll jump back in on my own thread. I'm now finishing The Naked and the Dead (AMAZING book that I'd never read--I think the claims that it is the best novel about World War II are accurate. Despite the title, it is not about Tom Odom's most recent marriage). Getting ready to start Brian Linn's The Echo of Battle: The Army's Way of War. Oh, and this little ditty.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    I'll jump back in on my own thread. I'm now finishing The Naked and the Dead (AMAZING book that I'd never read--I think the claims that it is the best novel about World War II are accurate. Despite the title, it is not about Tom Odom's most recent marriage). Getting ready to start Brian Linn's The Echo of Battle: The Army's Way of War. Oh, and this little ditty.
    Oh Lordy

I get no respect.....

BTW your idol/idiot was on CNN this AM

That would be of course Doug Feith

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Oh Lordy

BTW your idol/idiot was on CNN this AM

That would be of course Doug Feith
    I held my nose and ordered the book. I figure I'll need to at least know what's in it when I do interviews or talks on my book. Nagl said he lost what little respect he had for me when I told him that a few minutes ago.

Council Member

Just started Keegan's Face of Battle yesterday, ashamed to say I hadn't read it before, fantastic so far.

Low Intensity Conflicts in India by LTCOL Vivek Chadha, Hew Strachan's biography of Clausewitz' On War and re-reading Beaufre's An Introduction to Strategy

For fun (as opposed to work) I have some texts I picked up on leave in Jo'Burg. I am half way through 'Assignment Selous Scouts' by Jim Parker and have 'Executive Outcome's by Eeben Barlow in the queue.

And the daily BUA..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    Low Intensity Conflicts in India by LTCOL Vivek Chadha, Hew Strachan's biography of Clausewitz' On War and re-reading Beaufre's An Introduction to Strategy

For fun (as opposed to work) I have some texts I picked up on leave in Jo'Burg. I am half way through 'Assignment Selous Scouts' by Jim Parker and have 'Executive Outcome's by Eeben Barlow in the queue.

And the daily BUA..
    Hey mate!

Welcome back!

Tom

Cheers Tom,

Not 'back' yet in the physical sense, I have just been lurking when I can get access and have a spare moment... hence not posting on many of the things that I might otherwise.... guess you could say it is a kind of virtual self censorship for obvious reasons.

Tried to email you the other day at what I thought was your work address but it bounced back. Not sure if it is a problem with the firewall at my end or if I have the wrong address. Can't send it by PM (FOUO) , it related to the COIN handbook post(s). PM me a .mil address when you get the chance and I will send it from the 'office' tomorrow morning.

regards,

Steve,

Congratulations! The accolades heaped upon you in the Forward by Colin Gray (in my opinion, such that it means anything), the best-of-the-best of those who labor in the torturing vineyards of the theory of strategy, should be more than just pleasing to you.

Unfortunately, the release date seems to be 30Sep08. Correct? As I'm older and been around this game even longer than Ken (Yes, that is possible.), who knows what time might bring.

Again, congratulations. The imprimatur will not rest lightly.

Bob T

Default Thanks, Bob T...

"...As I'm older and been around this game even longer than Ken (Yes, that is possible.)..."
    Tom?

You see that?

There are two of us -- lay off the geriatric abuse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    Unfortunately, the release date seems to be 30Sep08. Correct?
    Actually, it's the first of July. Amazon just hasn't updated their listing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Tom?

You see that?

There are two of us -- lay off the geriatric abuse!!!
    See there you go making mistakes....

Must be your eyes

"Cause you two and George Singleton makes three

Is self abuse, geriatric abuse, if its voluntary?

Default Ha. Casting aspersions on

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    See there you go making mistakes....

Must be your eyes
    bifocals now, are we?
    "Cause you two and George Singleton makes three
    Now you're picking on George. His kids are in their 20s, my oldest is 52, so George is old and wise but not yet geriatric. Since Bob T apparently went in the service a year before I did, we're probably both at least borderline (I know I am...).
    Is self abuse, geriatric abuse, if its voluntary?
    Depends on what you have in mind...

Post For my part

While I have it I've been reading through Politics Among Nations.

Definately heavy reading but interestingly enough the part that takes the longest is keeping from being sent off on thought processes as you read. So much rings true with what we see even today.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Default Marching Toward Hell

Just started reading "Marching Toward Hell America and Islam After Iraq", by Michael Scheuer. I would like to know others thoughts on this book if any have read it or why you would or would not read it. Thanks!
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.