Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default The Insurgent Archipelago by John Mackinlay

Learned about the book from SWJ. The author contends:

1) Jihadism is but one phase of a worldwide insurgency that will bedevil us for decades and that is an expression of alienation of 3rd world immigrant communities within rich nations. A future phase, he says, may involve millions of destitute 3rd world refugees from global warming-induced inundation of their homelands, who will have found their way to western cities.

2) Thus, the most important theater of the conflict is within the western nations, not in some Middle Eastern or Central Asian land. Not least, he posits, because the "expeditionary approach" of taking the fight overseas is stillborn by the western nations' obsession with an exit strategy even before we charge through the entrance. So, he argues, as domestic politics forecloses a winning strategy overseas, we are left to focus on the domestic threat..which is the main one in any case.

3) He cites as a potential model a UK op involving LE cum the whole of gov't
    approach in engaging the Islamic immigrant community.

Opinion: May provide some insight into a Weltanschauung prevalent in some European circles. ....Also, no problem for a retired guy like me, but if your time comes at a premium you might want to weigh the opportunity cost of reading....

Cheers,
    Mike.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Hilo View Post
    Learned about the book from SWJ. The author contends:

1) Jihadism is but one phase of a worldwide insurgency that will bedevil us for decades and that is an expression of (#1) alienation of 3rd world immigrant communities within rich nations. A future phase, he says, may involve millions of destitute 3rd world refugees from global warming-induced inundation of their homelands, who will have found their way to western cities.

2) Thus, (#2) the most important theater of the conflict is within the western nations, not in some Middle Eastern or Central Asian land. Not least, he posits, because the "expeditionary approach" of taking the fight overseas is stillborn by the western nations' obsession with an exit strategy even before we charge through the entrance. So, he argues, as domestic politics forecloses a winning strategy overseas, we are left to focus on the domestic threat..which is the main one in any case.

3) He cites as a potential model a UK op involving LE cum the whole of gov't
    approach in engaging the Islamic immigrant community.

Opinion: May provide some insight into a Weltanschauung prevalent in some European circles. ....Also, no problem for a retired guy like me, but if your time comes at a premium you might want to weigh the opportunity cost of reading....

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Great find. Heard about that from an old professor of mine from KCL (Mackinley teaches there IIRC) but I decided to avoid the whole "coin" cottage industry/fad for a while. Disagree on #1, but I've been talking about #2 & #3 for a while (almost got myself in a spot of bother whilst at Hamas occupied SOAS). #1 assumes certain groups of people want to be British; IMO that's not the case, if it was we wouldn't have the parallel societies that we do (which aren't just Muslim phenomena) given the amount of money that's been wasted (IMO) in community schemes (but then again that was the point of multiculturalism, wasn't it? Oh, what tangled webs we weave!). I find such assertions simplistic and condescending (why are we always the self-defined perpetrators in a narrative of victimhood which priveledges the Other in favour of the Self? The ghost of Edward Said me thinks-and his Leftist/Liberal supporters). As Hassan Butt said after the 7/7 attacks in London (2005);

When I was still a member of what is probably best terms the British Jihadi Network, a series of semi-autonomous British Muslim terrorist groups linked by a single ideoloy, I remmeber how we used to laugh in celebration whenever people on TV proclaimed that the sole cause for Islamic acts of terror like 9/11, the Madrid bombings and 7/7 was Western foreign policy. By blaiming the government for our actions, those who pushed the "Blair's bombs" line did our propaganda for us. More important, they also helped to draw away any critical examination from the real engine of our violence; Islamic theology.
    Anyway, thanks for the synopsis, will definately search out a copy.
    Last edited by Tukhachevskii; 07-06-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: admin...

Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
    why are we always the self-defined perpetrators in a narrative of victimhood which priveledges the Other in favour of the Self?
    Another great quote!
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

Default Great Quotes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
    Another great quote!
    Speaking of great quotes, in Germany this morning on BFBS Radio I heard of the opening phrase of the winner of the Bulwer-Lytton Prize for Bad Writing which was awarded to:

Molly Ringle

For her opening phrase:

"For the first month of Ricardo and Felicity’s affair, they greeted one another at every stolen rendezvous with a kiss–a lengthy, ravenous kiss, Ricardo lapping and sucking at Felicity’s mouth as if she were a giant cage-mounted water bottle and he were the world’s thirstiest gerbil."

Pure genius!!!!

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/
    Commando Spirit:
    Courage, Determination, Unselfishness, and Cheerfulness in the face of adversity

I'm currently re-reading a bunch of books for a master's dissertation / PhD proposal on Islamist military culture and their "way of war". Relying quite heavily on Insurgents, Terrorists and Militias: Warriors of Contemporary Combat (by Richard Shultz and Andrea Dew, my review available here), Military Orientalism: Eastern War Through Western Eyes (by Patrick Porter) and Waging Wars without Warriors? Changing Culture of Military Conflict (by Christopher Coker).

Just finished Matterhorn, which deserves all the accolades currently being heaped on it. What stood out for me was the quality of the writing, the recognizable culture of the Marine Corps, and the remarkable compassion of the author for almost every character in the story.

It's almost 600 pages and I finished it in two nights last week. Now rereading it. Yeah, it's that good.

Of interest, the author's Navy Cross citation. The author pretty much outlines how he earned this in the book, but doesn't mention the award.

I picked up a couple of books while at the National Archives this past weekend:

Unruly Americans and the Origins of the Constitution by Woody Holton

The Quotable Founding Fathers by Buckner F. Melton, Jr.

Ken White wisely points out that much of the Constitution was to control the populace, and he is correct. Pure Democracy is not a good thing. This first book is a great read for those who want to understand the lives and times of our insurgent founding fathers as they emerged into the chaos of a newly liberated country that found itself with too pure of a democracy to be effective and struggling with the realities of what it meant to be liberated from the governance and support of Great Britain. This is the story of the first US counterinsurgency, and as such "Unruly Americans" should probably in the COIN library of anyone who has an interest or role in that field. (there is small grace period for the insurgent before he finds himself in the role of counterinsurgent. To think otherwise is to invite disaster)

The second is just a great resource to gain insights into the thoughts of individuals and what they were thinking; and quotes to toss out to support points in current arguments as well.
    Last edited by Bob's World; 07-13-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    The second is just a great resource to gain insights into the thoughts of individuals and what they were thinking; and quotes to toss out to support points in current arguments as well.
    Yes, throw some from Jefferson on how the enemy of all enemies to a Republic are the Bankers!

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Just finished Matterhorn, which deserves all the accolades currently being heaped on it. What stood out for me was the quality of the writing, the recognizable culture of the Marine Corps, and the remarkable compassion of the author for almost every character in the story.

It's almost 600 pages and I finished it in two nights last week. Now rereading it. Yeah, it's that good.

Of interest, the author's Navy Cross citation. The author pretty much outlines how he earned this in the book, but doesn't mention the award.
    Matterhorn is good, but to me it pales when compared to The 13th Valley.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

I just completed "In the Graveyard of Empires" by Seth Jones.

I was very impressed. Usually, I am very hesitant when I pick up a book talking about a current war because I'm afraid of trashy journalism. Before I read the book, I had no idea who Seth Jones was, but now I know.

The book provides a great history of Afghanistan up to 2008. I am sure that many here are already knowledgeable on this, but for those that aren't, then it's a good read. My only complaint: some of his research is dated. For example, his assertions on the Afghan National Army come from interviews that are from 2006. The ANA in 2010 is much different from the ANA in 2006. I give him credit though for writing about a current conflict.

Since I was so impressed with his writing, I picked up "The Rise of European Security Cooperation" by Seth Jones. I am currently 50 pages in, but am also very impressed. It is an academic read, but it's thought provoking.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by NihilisticZeal View Post
    I'm currently re-reading a bunch of books for a master's dissertation / PhD proposal on Islamist military culture and their "way of war". Relying quite heavily on Insurgents, Terrorists and Militias: Warriors of Contemporary Combat (by Richard Shultz and Andrea Dew, my review available here), Military Orientalism: Eastern War Through Western Eyes (by Patrick Porter) and Waging Wars without Warriors? Changing Culture of Military Conflict (by Christopher Coker).
    Don't forget Patrica Crone's, Slaves on Horses: The Evolution of the Islamic Polity

Default The Baader-Meinhof Complex by Stefan Aust

I have just finished reading the fully revised English edition of The Baader-Meinhof Complex by Stefan Aust (Pub. 2008), which also became a film.

The Baader-Meinhof gang in West Germany started in 1970 and ended in 1998. At one time the gang had six members engaged in a campaign of terrorism and was described as "the war of six against sixty million". The early gang was captured in 1972, a prolonged trial started in 1975 and ended in 1977 when three died in custody - after the famous GSG-9 (and SAS) hostage rescue at Mogadishu.

A really good book covering radicalisation, the state response (much still shrouded in secrecy), international links and the impact on Germany.

UK Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baader-Meinh.../dp/1847920454

USA Amazon, with good reviews:http://www.amazon.com/Baader-Meinhof...0086711&sr=1-1
    davidbfpo

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Reading Isaac Asimov's, Foundation. Mentioned recently by jmm99. Fascinating.

Foundation (amazon link)