Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Default man bites dogma

Just picked up Warrior of Zen: The Diamond-hard Wisdom Mind of Suzuki Shosan by Arthur Braverman. Shosan features prominently in Thomas Cleary's, The Japanese Art of War, which was a pretty good read.

Warrior of Zen - Amazon

The Japanese Art of War - Amazon

Life of Suzuki Shosan (short) - Cal State Chico

Default Catching up and slowing down - my reading list

Not in order of priority.

'The Watchers: The Rise of America's Surveillance State' by Shane Harris, Pub. Penguin Press 2010. A surprisingly good read, aided clearly by getting insiders to talk, notably John Poindexter in particular and Jeff Jonas.

'Islamic Radicalism and Multicultural Politics: The British Experience' by Tahir Abbas, Pub. Routledge 2011. The first two chapters From the historical to the contemporary and Islamic political radicalisation: origins and destinations provide an excellent, thorough guide to the issues globally.

'Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman, Lover, Betrayer, Hero, Spy' by Ben Macintyre. An amazing true story of Eddie Chapman, a British petty criminal who became an double-agent for both England and Germany in WW2 and so full of adventure, puzzles and more it is as if it's a novel.

Started and a rare venture for me into the 'big' Vietnam War: 'Grab Their Belts: The Viet Cong's Big Unit War Against the US 1965-1966' by Warren Wilkins. Pub. NIP 2011. So far impressive, particularly the explanation of how the VC and NVA became so skilled.

Pending, again different as I keep away from economists: 'Radical, Religious and Violent: The New Economics of Terrorism' by Eli Berman, Pub. MIT Press 2009. Update when read.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-15-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    davidbfpo