Thread: Disguises Used in Attack on Troops

Default Disguises Used in Attack on Troops

This is an extremely significant event. I expect to see more about this in the coming days. This has to be one of the boldest attacks I have heard of in Iraq. It reminds me if the crap that we used to pull when I was OPFOR at JRTC. I didn't expect it to work in the real world.

SFC W
    Last edited by Uboat509; 01-22-2007 at 07:57 PM.

I totally agree. I've been looking at that incident very closely.

Default Disguises Used

Hey Uboat,
    Indeed significant, but I think and also hope that our folks will learn quickly from this and IT won't repeat itself...ever.

Estonia's 1992 independence left a huge power vacuum and such instances were the norm (at least an explosion a day as late as 95 when I arrived). Later with the assistance of the FBI, ATF and US Military, these instances dwindled.

We (here) often think we are the ones watching. That's pretty ignorant if we stop and think about it. They are not only watching, but learning at a hightened pace (time is no longer in our hands).

Our EOD units responded to over 2,000 response calls last year. We video tape each and every event and study those recordings. What are we looking for ? Have no idea, but some events mirror others and we hope to find that common denominator.

I know my buds over there are doing the same and will do whatever to preclude such a painful instance again.

Regards, Stan

Iraqi guards at checkpoints waved them through Saturday afternoon because the men wore what appeared to be legitimate U.S. military uniforms and badges, and drove cars commonly used by foreigners, the provincial governor said.
    Should not be surprising. It was just a matter of time before it happened. Go back and look at all the other incidents towards the PMCs and Iraqi Police Units and I am only talking on the OSI side of the house that they used simlar tactics. If they dress in IPF uniforms/patrol car and get waved in by the guards, what's the difference. Of course it could tell you that the LN guards trust the US personnel more. I seem to remember during 2003 some Marines ran into some insurgents wearing american uniforms during clearing of an area. A Concern yes, but nothing we should not be able to adjust. Definetely a Force Protection issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    This is an extremely significant event. I expect to see more about this in the coming days. This has to be one of the boldest attacks I have heard of in Iraq. It reminds me if the crap that we used to pull when I was OPFOR at JRTC. I didn't expect it to work in the real world.

SFC W
    Didn't surprise me none. Not to take this matter lightly but like John 'Bluto' Blutarsky once said in "Animal House",..."It's so stupid it might just work."

"The enemy gets a vote too"

Who said that?

I wondered if this would come out in the media. Apparently when this happened it was reported in the Iraqi media that Americans had attacked the facility and that they were moving into the Holy city on a religious Holiday, which they apparently later retracted. That would help explain the response or lack there of. Imagine that you are an Iraqi and you come inside the perimeter to find what appears to be Americans attacking the facility. Confusion doesn't quite cover it.

SFC W

Default It won't take long...

...before law of war violations are perpetrated by charlatans dressed and acting lke coalition personnel, specifically designed to drive wedges between us and the people. It is terribly easy, simple, and just a matter of time.

Some additional details. U.S. military spokesmen confirm that the insurgents succeeded in getting away with four American prisoners. This is rather disturbing.

The account of the attack provided by the military suggests both a breakdown of security in the relatively safe southern province as well as increased skill on the part of armed groups.

"The precision of the attack, the equipment used and the possible use of explosives to destroy the military vehicles in the compound suggests that the attack was well rehearsed prior to execution," Bleichwehl said.

U.S. and Iraqi soldiers were at a provincial security headquarters discussing safety for pilgrims participating in an annual religious ceremony when the gunmen — dressed in U.S. Army-style combat uniforms and driving at least five sport utility vehicles — made their way past checkpoints and stormed the building about 5 p.m.

"The armed militants wore American-looking uniforms and carried U.S.-type weapons convincing Iraqi checkpoints to allow their passage," the statement said.

Once they were inside the compound, fighting broke out between the gunmen, estimated at no more than a dozen, and U.S. soldiers. Small-arms fire erupted and grenades exploded. One soldier was killed and three were wounded by a hand grenade thrown into the main office, which includes the headquarters of the provincial police chief.

"The Iraqis in the meeting were not harmed or even touched," an Iraqi military official said.

Explosions damaged several U.S. Humvees, disabling the vehicles and forcing the soldiers to take cover. The attackers pulled back, the statement said, taking four U.S. soldiers with them.

According to U.S. and Iraqi officials, not only did the gunmen manage to enter the building, they took the captured soldiers from Karbala dozens of miles to Babil province, confidently driving past at least one checkpoint.

"The vehicles did not stop at checkpoints, they drove right through them," said an Iraqi military officer, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Council Member

Hamas has been know to use emergency response vehicles and cars belonging to international bodies to smuggle wanted terrorists, deliver arms and explosives as well as perpetrating secondary car bombing within Israel.

In some cases the use of medical and UN documents, medical uniforms and even recruiting legitimate medical staff to collaborate with the Palestinian terrorist activity were uncovered.

Although this is a first in Iraq, this strategy has been an active way to avoid IDF checkpoints since the January 27 2002 attack on Jaffa Street In Jerusalem

SN100682136
    Yannick
    Last edited by SN100682136; 01-29-2007 at 02:56 AM.
    "Nous somme d'une race qui ne sait pas mourir...'- Hemon

Default Iran May Have Trained Attackers

31 January NY Times - Iran May Have Trained Attackers That Killed 5 American Soldiers, U.S. and Iraqis Say by James Glanz and Mark Mazzetti.

Investigators say they believe that attackers who used American-style uniforms and weapons to infiltrate a secure compound and kill five American soldiers in Karbala on Jan. 20 may have been trained and financed by Iranian agents, according to American and Iraqi officials knowledgeable about the inquiry.

The officials said the sophistication of the attack astonished investigators, who doubt that Iraqis could have carried it out on their own — one reason a connection to Iran is being closely examined. Officials cautioned that no firm conclusions had been drawn and did not reveal any direct evidence of a connection.

A senior Iraqi official said the attackers had carried forged American identity cards and American-style M-4 rifles and had thrown stun grenades of a kind used only by American forces here...

Banned

Are they any news/reports about alleged nationality/race of those attackers!?

I just have hard time to believe Arab looking man would be able to fool Iraqi guards like that… Using white (European or American looking attackers) would be huge step up for Insurgency and they “spec ops”.

Council Member

Default Members of the Extended Saudi Royal Family?

- I need to track down the source that makes this claim - bear with me....