Thread: Insurgents vs Terrorists -- Is there a difference?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Self interst and heroism

Most people awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor ignored their own self interest in order to serve a larger cause. In fact many in this country can not comprehend why our troops ignore their own self interest and volunteer for combat.

While the jihadis may believe they serve their self interest by punching their ticket for Paradise, delusional beliefs do not make it so.

Most people awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor ignored their own self interest in order to serve a larger cause. In fact many in this country can not comprehend why our troops ignore their own self interest and volunteer for combat.

While the jihadis may believe they serve their self interest by punching their ticket for Paradise, delusional beliefs do not make it so.
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but to me it looks like you're saying that those who sacrifice their lives for us are heroes but those who sacrifice their lives for the opposition are but fools.

Is that meant to imply that Muslims are less human than others? I think we need to try and learn more about what motivates the enemy than simply writing him off as a fool. I've been down that road before.

Default Kilcullen via Jedburgh on same topic

SWC Thread Center of Gravity Construct #82 has Jedburg link to Kilcullen paper that kind of pulls together much of what you all have discussed, very educationally for me. Especially noted that terrorists and insurgents in modern warfare can and do operate in ways that make it important to know, if possible, which one you've got in your sights. But also that the buggers may switch back and forth, depending on the strategic state of play. My first post, beg pardon if someone made this point earlier and I've missed it.

Council Member

Default This is pretty scary

Gentlemen,

With all due respect to the years of expertise gained through academia and muddy boots field work, I find it both alarming and refreshing we can't agree on to define insurgents and terrorists. Scary because I think it paralyzes us to some degree, as there are clearly different strategies for countering insurgents and terrorists. We all know one size doesn't fit all.

Refreshing in the sense that inability to agree may hopefully lead us to disregard the sometimes futile effort of trying to categorize the enemy, and instead more accurately describe the threat without the legacy terms and baggage that goes with them.

Let's face it, in the government these terms are tied to mandates, laws, and funding issues. If it is terrorism, then this organization owns it (and the funding that goes with it), if it an insurgency, then that one, if criminal then another one. We have a way of defining problems that tends to fit the interest of our organization, not so much our national security.

Default A terorist by any other name...

Hi Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    With all due respect to the years of expertise gained through academia and muddy boots field work, I find it both alarming and refreshing we can't agree on to define insurgents and terrorists. Scary because I think it paralyzes us to some degree, as there are clearly different strategies for countering insurgents and terrorists. We all know one size doesn't fit all.

Refreshing in the sense that inability to agree may hopefully lead us to disregard the sometimes futile effort of trying to categorize the enemy, and instead more accurately describe the threat without the legacy terms and baggage that goes with them.
    I know that Steve has been working on a think piece coming out of this thread, and I'm looking forward to it (hint, hint).

Bill, I think that your comment has captured the core difficulty with taxonomies, which is how the terms "terrorist" and "insurgent" tend to be used. By relying on definitions that conflate goals and operational tactics, I think we are locked into a reactive model that is poorly adapted to current realities.

Possibly more dangerous, at least in the long term, is that each evocation of a particular toxon, say "terrorist", will tend to also evoke its polar opposite, say "freedom fighter". In situations where these terms are highly politically charged, and you also have a polarized political scene, this means that you inevitably generate support for any group labeled "terrorist" simply because the people labeling it that are opposed politically. It's one of those "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" pieces of "logic".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Let's face it, in the government these terms are tied to mandates, laws, and funding issues. If it is terrorism, then this organization owns it (and the funding that goes with it), if it an insurgency, then that one, if criminal then another one. We have a way of defining problems that tends to fit the interest of our organization, not so much our national security.
    This is one of the reasons I am arguing for a matrix organization in the GCOIN environment. Put another way, we are dealing with trans-national, non-state actors so why are our response units based on states (see this thread)? Country teams make a certain amount of sense when most players are nation states or alliances of nation states, but little sense when dealing with non-state actors.

Bill, you are quite right in saying that "We have a way of defining problems that tends to fit the interest of our organization", and one way to get around that problem is to create a new institutional mindset and organizational forms to go with it. Why, for example, should membership in an operational or "project" team be restricted to Americans? For example, we can be fairly certain that radical Islamist groups are "fund raising" through defrauding government tax programs. The EU has already noted this publicly, and the Canadian government is also looking at it. The operational tactics of this type of defrauding are very similar and are operating through trans-national networks and, in my opinion, our responses should be as well.

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default Already being done

Marc, to a certain extent this is already being done. In Alabama criminal gangs,terrorist,hate groups are being pooled under the title "Security Threat Groups". Task forces are often organized a long the lines of what you call Matix management. Some of the most successful that I have seen personally are in the area of domestic violence/stalking cases. We used to have the DA who would prosecute the case plus a victim advocate and the primary investigator all assigned to the same prosecution team and would work through to conviction.

Council Member

Default Raiding strategy

Rather than tie ourselves in knots over describing the enemy, it is clear to me that whether they are called Insurgents or terrorist they are using a raiding strategy. The response to a raiding strategy is what we are now seeing in Baghdad with a troops surge that has a high concentration of force to space in the area where the enemy wants to operate. Their are check points to make movement to contact more difficult for the enemy. Troops patrol the area to look for the enemy and also make his movement more difficult. The enemy is most vulnerable when he is trying to move and these tactics inhibit movement.

The enemy in Iraq has shown little interest in a hearts and minds strategy. He seeks to dominate through intimidation in much the same way Saddam did when he was in power. Those facts argue in favor of calling him a terrorist. But what ever you call him he is still a raider.