Thread: General Karl Anton Schwartz, early 19th cent.

Default General Karl Anton Schwartz, early 19th cent.

Any ideas where to find a biography of Karl Schwartz, Clauswitz's first biographer?

I'm thinking this is the same guy that was in command of Artillery Reserve of the Army during the Prussian-Austrian War & the First Army's Artillery during the Franco-Prussian War.

http://www.amazon.com/Leben-Generals.../dp/1143446623
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Council Member

Default Adam, I'm possibly just muddying the water, but

A Karl Schwartz wrote Landgraf Friedrich v. von Hessen-Homburg und seine Familie and Leben des Generals Carl von Clausewitz und der Frau Marie von Clausewitz geb. Grafin von Bruhl.

The forward to the first is dated and signed:

Wiesbaden im September 1878
    Oberschusrath Dr. Schwartz
    Gymnasial-Director a. D.
    and the second:

Wiesbaden im October 1877
    Dr. Karl Schwartz
    Oberschusrath und Gymnasial-Director a. D.
    Google search - Wiesbaden "Karl Schwartz" gymnasium - yields 61 hits. E.g., from Hessian archives, p.75:

Von Prinzessin Elisabeth von Hessen dem Oberschulrat Karl Schwartz als ...
    It appears to me that the biographer Karl Schwartz was a Hessian school administrator.

I couldn't find much on Karl Anton Schwartz (Google "Karl Anton Schwartz" Baden = 10 hits; all on son Adolph), but his son Adolph had quite a life in the US (link):

*Artist biography: Adolph Schwartz was born in Karlsruhe, in the duchy of Baden, Germany, where his father, Karl Anton Schwartz, was a high-ranking military officer. By the time he was twenty, young Schwartz was a lieutenant of the artillery. His German military career ended abruptly, however, when he joined with the idealists of his generation in supporting Franz Siegel's Badische Freiheitsarmee (Baden Freedom Brigade). The revolution was crushed and the young lieutenant was sentenced to a five-year prison term.

In May 1850 Schwartz escaped from his prison cell in Kislau Castle, and, in a manner worthy of a romantic adventure story, succeeded in crossing the border from Germany to France. Schwartz sailed from Le Havre to the United States and arrived in New York in July 1850.

From 1856 to 1857, Schwartz served in the expeditionary army of American General William Walker, who had overtaken Nicaragua and proclaimed himself the country's president. When Walker's military dictatorship was overthrown, Schwartz fled to San Francisco.

Perhaps armed with an introduction from Walker, who had been in California in 1850, Schwartz made friends with Johann August Sutter, a fellow German and the owner of Sutter's mill in Coloma, where gold had first been discovered. Schwartz also worked for a time with The Pathfinder, John Charles Fremont, a politician, military man, mining entrepreneur, and explorer of the country west of the Rocky Mountains. His illustrations of Fremont's gold-mining venture in and around Mariposa, California, are remarkable. They offer the historian a rare visual record of hard-rock mining operation during the California Gold Rush.

When the Civil War broke out, Fremont was made Commander of the West and Schwartz received permission to organize an artillery company. In the course of what seems to have been a distinguished Civil War career, Schwartz served with distinction with Generals Grant and McClellan in activities on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, in Kentucky and Tennessee. He was severely wounded at the Battle of Shiloh while he was serving under General Sherman. Schwartz returned to active duty and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and Inspector General. He followed McClellan to Arkansas, the Texas border, and the Red River, resigning when McClellan did in 1864. Schwartz died from complications of his war injuries, in 1872, when he was only 45 years old.
    Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    I couldn't find much on Karl Anton Schwartz (Google "Karl Anton Schwartz" Baden = 10 hits; all on son Adolph),
    Thanks Mike,
    You're not muddying the waters - your biography title in German is exactly the same as the credit in my link.

I couldn't find much (in English, even translated) on this Karl Anton guy, other than the two wars above.

Searching in Fraktur is gonna be fun. Where's my German Unification/Otto von Bismarck fanboys?
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg