Thread: The E-mail Weapon: Troops Tackle Bad Media

Default The E-mail Weapon: Troops Tackle Bad Media

A twofer - Austin Bay and Jim Dunnigan of Strategy Page - The E-mail Weapon: Troops Tackle Bad Media.

After my return from Iraq I received phone calls and emails from military friends as they either came back to the US on leave or finished their tours and re-deployed “Stateside.” The typical phone call went like this: “I’m back. It’s great to be home. What’s up? How are you doing?” Then, the conversation quickly moved on to: “What’s with the press and Iraq?” The press usually meant television. On tv Iraq looked like it was going to Hell in a handbasket of flame and brutality; however, the images of carnage didn’t square with the troops’ experience.

Today on StrategyPage, my good friend Jim Dunnigan takes on the subject of “troop/press dissonance” from his typically idiosyncratic angle. I’m going to quote from “There’s more going on in Iraq than a media event” at length. (As the essay notes, there is also more going on in Iraq than a war.) Visit StrategyPage and read the second story, “Journalism versus Reality.”

Default Watch Your Six

An oldie but goodie from SWJ friends John and Allen at Cox and Forkum

Watch Your Six