Thread: My Son David Has Orders to 1st ID

Default My Son David Has Orders to 1st ID

Can someone here help me out? My son is soon to graduate (yes Army) USA boot camp at Benning, then heads to AIT, and has "verbal" orders to 1st ID at Fort Knox. He is Mech Infantry and the only unit I see there (Infantry) is 3rd BCT which is scheduled to be deactivated soon so I'm not sure what the score is here....

Even though I am a retired Marine I'm proud he chose Army Infantry.

Dave Dilegge
    Small Wars Journal

Dave,

3d BCT is a light unit....and, like you said, slated to inactivate. Your son will likely go to FT Riley since the 1st ID mech units are there. But that's just a guess. Plus you said he has only verbal orders. Let's see what his hard-copy orders say.

Default Thanks

Thanks Morgan, Dave

Dave,

Congrats for your son. You must be proud.

Yes wait for written orders.

As a former Army infantry platoon leader (light, Air Assault), we expect the new privates from Benning to step in immediately and conduct PT very well.

That first duty day for PT in garrison, especially the run, needs to be where he shines. He needs to run like hell every day. If he makes a good first impression with his team leader and squad leader as a strong runner with high speed PT that will go a long way. Also, if he does PT on his own beyond what the unit does that looks good too.

In many ways, that two hours of PT in the morning is the most important part of the duty day in garrison.

They have changed the PT test since I got out, but his goal should be to max out everything.

Next is marksmanship. Goal is expert on all weapons.

Once those two things are squared away. Then he can really focus on the Bradley.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Dave,

3d BCT is a light unit....and, like you said, slated to inactivate. Your son will likely go to FT Riley since the 1st ID mech units are there. But that's just a guess. Plus you said he has only verbal orders. Let's see what his hard-copy orders say.
    That would have been my thought as well.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Thanks Guys...

Much appreciated, anything else all please chime in. I'm former Marine and light years removed from active duty so this is helpful - S/F Dave

Default Harvest Plan

That is correct that the brigade at Fort Knox is slated for de-activation. The timeline for deactivation is still up in the air, but the process is supposed to be complete by FY 2017. This timeline could change though based on budgetary and operational constraints. However, the cutting will occur at the same time as a reorganization of brigades, where each brigade combat team will add an additional maneuver battalion. The plan currently is for the battalions from the brigades being deactivated to be transferred to one of the other brigades, with the CAV squadron converting to an infantry battalion. That will give each BCT 3x Infantry battalions and 1x CAV squadron.

The trouble with 1st ID is that they are losing two brigades whereas the rest of the divisions are only losing one. The fact that the brigade at Knox is light and is geographically isolated from their division command also complicates things. So, in all likelihood, your son will get orders a few years from now taking him to a new duty station. It may be through normal personnel turnover or he could be moved to plus-up one of the CAV squadrons that is converting to an infantry battalion at a different post. It could be a mech unit or stryker or light. With Army enlisted military occupational specialties (MOS), for Infantry, there are only 11B (Infantryman) and 11C (Mortars). The older MOS 11H (Anti-Tank) and 11M (Mechanized) no longer exist. As such, he could be assigned anywhere the Army has Infantrymen.

Default Thanks

Much appreciated and welcome to SWJ and SWC!

Default Gotta Go Airborne!

Dave, congratulations on your son! Now he needs to go Airborne so he can be the best........just like his Dad.

Thanks Slap.