Thread: Research Questions on Mitigating Religious Discrimination

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Research Questions on Mitigating Religious Discrimination

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...56&postcount=1

Thames22, a new member to SWJ, posted the following in his introductory remarks in the hail and farewell section. I think these are some great questions and suspect our community will have a lot of thoughts on this.

I serve as the policy director of an independent U.S. government commission that advises the Executive and Legislative branches of government on foreign policy as it relates to religious freedom. My research focuses on, among other things, how violent religious extremists challenge U.S. national interests and what actions the U.S. government can take to mitigate those challenges. I have written widely on these subjects, focusing on South and Central Asia, the Middle East, and Europe.

Religion is a powerful force that validates governments and motivates peoples and societies, with history repeatedly proving the high cost of ignoring these dynamics. The 19th century military strategist Henri de Jomani in his treatise The Art of War deplored conflicts stemming from “religious dogmas” because they “enlist the worst passions, and become vindictive, cruel, and terrible.” Today, repression of religious actors is growing, in a world that is increasingly more religious. The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life has found the 3 out of every 4 people in the world live in countries that repress religion, and other survey work has found 80% of the global population believes in something greater than themselves. Overlaid together, the likelihood for increased conflict along religious lines is high, and these sectarian wars will be long, violent, and destabilizing to nations and entire regions.
    Questions for Council Members

1. So how can the United States advance stability in states going through political upheavals with a religious or sectarian element?

2. What actions can the international community take to prevent the growth of violent religious extremism in failing or failed states?

3. How should stability operations engage religious justice systems about human rights, women’s rights and minority rights?

4. How can civic space be enlarged to amply voices promoting religious tolerance?

These are questions I'm interesting in trying to answer and appreciate the wisdom of others. You can find an article I wrote for SWJ here that lays out some of my thinking:

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art...ligious-actors Updated URL link which does work Bill

Here is a more recent article I wrote for the Georgetown Journal of International Affairs about combating religion based terror: http://journal.georgetown.edu/2013/0...y-knox-thames/
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-17-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Link is working, updated text in red