I would think the FBI will cut in areas of overlap like drug investigations. This last year DEA cut travel, academy classes and transfers except for those coming back from overseas. We are expecting furlough days this year, but how many I don't know. I've heard anywhere from 11-22 days. I would think the Special Agents in Charge of the other divisions did what my SAC did this last year and that was scrutinizing all travel, drug purchases, informant payments and other expenditures related to operations. Usually the SACs delegate this authority to lower levels unless the costs reach a certain amount and his approval is required. Title III costs take up a lot of our budget so I expect there to be fewer T3 cases - mainly due to translation costs.

I've been told that DEA staffs at about 92% of our allocated TOE while the FBI staffs at about 98%. This extra 6% should give us a little wiggle room, but I expect it to be a very lean year. Our many offices will need to be very selective in our investigations to ensure we are pursuing truly "federal" level targets.