Hanoi's War is very good but, my initial reading is that she overstates the role of the 2 Le's. That they were important, even critical, players is without doubt. But downplaying the role of Ho, Giap, and Pham Van Dong strikes me as misreading the political reality among the leaders of the Lao dong party.

Regarding the Chinese role at Dien Bien Phu, I have been looking at some articles. One in Military History Online by Bob Seals makes the case for a major PRC role. My own reaction - based on a fairly extensive reading on the advisory experience and my own experience as a military advisor and civilian development advisor - is that it is a mistake to attribute the primary cause of anything to the advsory effort. CMAG was clearly helpful to Giap but far more important was China's role as a source and funnel for supplies.

One of the great things about Phillips' book is how effectively he delineates what an advisor can and cannot accomplish. while that varies with multiple circumstances, it is always limited by variables within and external to the advising relationship.

Cheers

JohnT