Thread: Are we still living in a Westphalian world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scott,

First, I like your organizational structure. It seems to me that what you are trying to do is to frame war in the context of its political environment. Ungoverned, or pre-Westphalian war and Governed, or post-Westphalian war. If you look at it this way then nuclear war is not a different category of war.

I would also suggest that you look at post-United Nations war. Here there is a kink in the armor of the Sovereignty created by being a party to the United Nations conventions. Again, this is based on the political framework that the war takes place in.

Also remember that the Westphalian definition is limited to Europe and the West. Many of the ideas imbued in the Peace of Westphalia did not enter international law until the Hague conventions 0f 1899 and 1907 (perhaps earlier, I don't really have enough data to tell.) In any case, be careful not to "Westernize" your definitions.

Other than that, I think you are on to something that could end up being most useful in looking at the nature of violent struggles.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 01-23-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---