Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military Governance versus Stability Operations

Default Military governance

Check out the book "Civil affairs soldiers become governors" and the Small Wars Manual"

Default Thanks

Civil Affairs: Soldiers become Governors looks like a great resource on how and why we ran Civil Affairs after WWII.

The desire to create doctrine for occupation was the result of the failures after WWI

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: IN WORLD WAR I INADEQUATE ARMY PREPARATIONS AND EVENTUAL CIVILIAN CONTROL

[Col. Irwin L. Hunt, Officer in Charge of Civil Affairs, Third Army and American Forces in Germany, Rpt, American Military Government of Occupied Germany, 1918-1920, 4 Mar 20, pp. 56-57 (hereafter referred to as Hunt Rpt), OCMH files]

* * * All of the energy of the American army had been centered on an early decision in the field and there had been no opportunity to study the civil problems involved in an occupation of German territory. The American army therefore began its duties in occupied territory with only the scantiest information both of the particular situation confronting it and even of a broader nature, such as would permit it to intelligently frame an organization commensurate with its wide governmental powers. From the beginning therefore there was a crying need for personnel trained in civil administration and possessing knowledge of the German nation.1
    It is extremely unfortunate that the qualifications necessary for a civil administration are not developed among officers in times of peace. The history of the United States offers an uninterrupted series of wars, which demanded as their aftermath, the exercise by its officers of civil governmental functions. Despite the precedents of military governments in Mexico, California, the Southern States, Cuba, Porto Rico, Panama, China, the Philippines and elsewhere, the lesson has seemingly not been learned. In none of the service-schools devoted to the higher training of officers, has a single course on the nature and scope of military government been established.
    And so, with WWII approaching we fixed the problem.

UNTIL 1940 NO FIELD MANUAL FOR MILITARY GOVERNMENT

[Memo, Brig Gen William E. Shedd, ACofS, G-1, for ACofS, G-3, 18 Jan 40, G-1 files, 9985-41]

1. Attached is an extract of a study, prepared by a student committee at the Army War College, pertaining to a proposed Basic Field Manual, entitled: Military Law, The Administration of Civil Affairs in Occupied Alien Territory. It is recommended that a Basic Field Manual be prepared and published by the War Department, using the attached study as a guide.
    It appears we may again be in a post WWI world with no realistic version of doctrine covering occupation and military governance.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 11-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Default Tranistional Military Authority

Does anyone know why the chapter on Tranisitional Military Authority that was Chapter 5 in the FM 3-07 Stability Operations was not included in the ADRP 3-07 Stability Operations? It is referenced three times (with a note to see the FM) but it was not included. I am curious why.

Transitional Military Authority is the doctrinal term used by the US Army and is included in the ADRP 1-02 Terms and Military Symbols
    transitional military authority – A temporary military government exercising the functions of civil administration in the absence of a legitimate civil authority. (FM 3-07)
    It is not covered extensively, but it is mentioned.

I am now looking to see if it is nested in any of the planning doctrine. Below is the only reference I can find. It was from the ADRP 3-0.

Stability is an overarching term encompassing various military missions, tasks, and activities
    conducted outside the United States in coordination with other instruments of national power to maintain or
    reestablish a safe and secure environment, provide essential governmental services, emergencyinfrastructure reconstruction, and humanitarian relief. (See JP 3-0.) Army forces conduct stability tasks
    during both combined arms maneuver and wide area security. These tasks support a host-nation or an
    interim government or part of a transitional military authority when no government exists. Stability tasks
    involve both coercive and constructive actions. They help to establish or maintain a safe and secure
    environment and facilitate reconciliation among local or regional adversaries. Stability tasks can also help
    establish political, legal, social, and economic institutions while supporting the transition to legitimate hostnation
    governance. Stability tasks cannot succeed if they only react to enemy initiatives. Stability tasks
    must maintain the initiative by pursuing objectives that resolve the causes of instability. (See Army
    doctrine on stability tasks.)
    Not a lot.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 11-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.

---

Should Military Governance Guidance return to its Roots?

Good short article by then Colonel, now LTG Vanroosen.

---