Thread: Do we need an African NATO?

Default Do we need an African NATO?

The Oxford academic Paul Collier, well known for his book The Bottom Billion, in a new book chapter he argues that Africa needs a common standing military force that can be deployed against rebellions. From a short review:
    The reason this makes sense in Africa is that the kinds of conflicts that occur are ones where a few thousand gunmen with small arms can be relatively easily out-gunned and out manoeuvred by well equipped and professional forces. That’s not the same in many other parts of the world, but in Africa the practicalities of military interventions are relatively simple, it’s the politics of intervention that’s the problem.
    Link to review:http://www.ippr.org/articles/56/1143...n-african-nato

Link to book (due out next week):http://www.guardianbookshop.co.uk/Be...=9781783560066

Personally I cannot see African governments agreeing to an African NATO, nor would the UN take responsibility. Africa does have a number of professional militaries, equipment is another matter, let alone having the airlift, mobility and more to act.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Davidbfpo,

Personally I cannot see African governments agreeing to an African NATO, nor would the UN take responsibility. Africa does have a number of professional militaries, equipment is another matter, let alone having the airlift, mobility and more to act.
    Paul Collier hasn't asked the most important question: why do these rebellions occur in the first place?

Africa isn't Europe, with fully formed states & an established order. Africa is a continent of failed states & states on the verge of failure.

Let's consider Nigeria - it has too full blown insurgencies, one in the Niger Delta & another in the North East. How would an African NATO address the conditions that led to these insurgencies in the first place?

Council Member

Davidbfpo,

Let me also add (from my experience in Nigeria) that the military capabilities of both Niger Delta Militants and Boko Haram are beyond what most African militaries can handle.