Thread: Russian Bronze Statue in Estonia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Russia to cut Estonia fuel transit amid statue row

Russian disruption in the delivery of oil products

Russian state railways said planned maintenance on the railway link could lead to disruption in the delivery of oil products. Russia has in the past been accused of using its energy resources as a political weapon against its neighbors.

"We haven't imposed any economic sanctions against Estonia and have no plans to do so. But from May 1, we plan repair works. We therefore plan to change the delivery schedule," said a spokeswoman for Russian state railways.

Default Anti-Estonia Protests Escalate in Moscow

Members of pro-Kremlin youth movement Nashi block an entrance to a Moscow newspaper building in order not to let Estonian Ambassador Marina Kaljurand leave on Wednesday, May 2, 2007.

MOSCOW -- Young Russians staged raucous protests in Moscow on Wednesday to denounce neighboring Estonia for removing a Soviet war memorial from its capital, and the Estonian ambassador said pro-Kremlin activists tried to attack her as she arrived at a news conference.

Sweden said its ambassador also was assaulted as he left the Estonian Embassy after a meeting Wednesday, saying protesters surrounding the compound kicked his car and tore off a Swedish flag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Statement of the President of the Republic

Well said, President Ilves !

We can Agree Upon a Common Future

I turn to Russia, Estonia’s neighbour, with a clear message – try to remain civilised! It is not customary in Europe to demand the resignation of the democratically elected government of another sovereign country. It is not customary in Europe to use computers belonging to public institutions for cyber-attacks against another country’s public institutions. In Europe, as well as in the rest of the civilised world, it is not considered possible to violate the Vienna Convention when an embassy of a small enough country is concerned.

It is customary in Europe that differences, which do now and then occur between states, are solved by diplomats and politicians, not on the streets or by computer attacks. Those are the ways of other countries, somewhere else, not in Europe.

Stan - if we see any apartment buildings getting blown up in Russia in the next few months, I'd suggest getting the heck out of Dodge!

Default the work of Chechen terrorists

Thanks, Tequila !
    It wasn't too long ago when the Russians said Estonian female 'freedom fighters' were at work in Chechnya. "Blonde with blue eyes, and sniper-like marksmanship" in the Russian press. I will have to find the article

On the other hand, our EOD responses lately to 'suspect articles' has tripled.
    The last idiot was detained when the LE found a WWII hand grenade in the rioter's pocket. No explosive content, but great for parties !

One never knows what to bring to these sort of events. Come prepared and bring the cold brews

Council Member

Russia continues on its crazed neo-Soviet path to once again alienate the entire world. The Associated Press reports that the Kremlin has no problem allowing violent protests, as long as you are pro-Kremlin. If you are Other Russia doing this stuff, you meet 10,000 stormtroopers.
    http://russophobe.blogspot.com/2007/...t-fine-in.html

Council Member

This is 3. try to post my mail. SWC is one of the few international pages that I can access at the moment. I don't know the reason why i can access this one. I do know that there is unbelivable huge cyber attack against Estonian internet service providers.

To moderators. Last night I had couple beers wiht Stan and he said that there was misunderstaning among you about this topic. You doubted that this is not topic for SWC. I'll try to explain you my oppinon why this topic should belong here. Term "Small war" contains word "war" which means that there must be armed componend among insurgents to qualify political struggle as small war. In a sad way I can't attatch links from Rand and other prominent sites to illustrate my reasoning. During Vietnam war communists infiltrated across borders to make propaganda and change mind of peasants in villages. After brain wash those peasants were recruited as armed guerillas to fight govenment forces. Here the propaganda is done via Russian TV, radio, internet etc. Russian-speaking people are here brainwashed according to the info they recieve form Russia. Estonia's problem is that there are too few news services that can provide online info about events here. If Russian-speaking people in Estonia can't find non-violent political ways to express their oppinion there is threat that they can start acting violently. This happened already last week and at present time there is big effort to expalin to people what happened really. Today there was issued special Russian newspaper (100 000 numbers were printed. Normally dailys are much smaller). You can calm down moderates, but extremists are really crazy. Here is not Vietnam and communists are not spreading their word. We have here Russia which is spreading their word. Russian officials make no efforts to calm down the situation and make verbal offences against Estonia. In the end for us there is no difference because there is fight of different narratives. There was siege fo Estonian embassy in Moscow that lasted 1 week. For some commentators this reminded siege of US embassy in Tehran in 1979. Estonian russians are proxy for Russia.

If you have red Rand's "Networks and net-wars" then you can find similar things now in and around Estonia. Estonia would be nice case study for next edition.

Here are economical sanctions in progress, but I have no time to write about those.

Damn, I still can't read BBC!!!