Thread: Russian Bronze Statue in Estonia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Probably the last post for this thread

For those who viewed this thread from time-to-time, this will be my last one.

The controversial Bronze Soldier monument was removed this morning at about 0400 following an Estonian government emergency meeting in the interests of national security after a night of heavy rioting.

One man was killed; over 50 reported injuries and over 300 arrests.

Violence broke out yesterday evening after skirmishes between police and several hundred Russian-speaking youths, gathered throughout the day and early evening to protest what was only to be exploratory excavation work. The rioters (mainly teenagers in their 20's), after being pushed back from the monument onto side streets, smashed nearly every ground floor window and some 2nd and 3rd story windows in the first city block leading to the monument's site.

Based on reports that many of those who participated in disturbances were drinking, Tallinn authorities have banned the sale of alcohol beginning today at 1400 until the morning of May 2nd.

We were on duty last night, performing typical EOD response calls and couldn't comprehend the destruction and violence along a major BLVD taking place. As we came up behind one of the local fire company trucks and fire investigator's Subaru, a hail of stones and various other projectiles hit the fire truck and the driver brought the beast to a dead halt. The road now nearly blocked and almost nowhere to go, we cranked our Patrol into high gear over the curbs and hauled ass. The fire truck decided to follow us!

I realize that this crowd was predominately Russian and very drunk, but our vehicles are red and white (Police vehicles are blue), with 'Rescue Services' and '112' all over the vehicle (police emergency is 110).

As one firefighter said to me, “I’ve been rescuing these Russians from burning buildings for years, and this is the thanks I get”.

There are over 15 videos on you tube, but this one shows the beginning and subsequent lootings.

Footage from "Bronze Soldier" Riot 2
    Last edited by Stan; 04-27-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed the link...still learning !