Thread: Set of scanned Soviet KGB docs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Solution to Russian Problem

Hi Kaur,

Interesting collection, but as you say it's in Russian - and the pdf files are not in copyable text.

Recently, I bought a CD-box version of ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition from Amazon - there are cheaper priced versions out there, but Caveat Emptor !! Alternatives are Omnipage and Adobe Acrobat; for my purposes & after reading a bunch of reviews, I decided on ABBYY. As such I am an ABBYY newbie - and what follows is down, dirty and doesn't use the full capabilities of the program.

I downloaded 0927 04-Apr-77 CT50/131 Ammunition for the military camp in Zimbabwe (from your link); and then separated page 1 by PRN to Disc using doPDF v7 (a good freebie).

400+ document types supported - the principle is this, if a document type is printable, then doPDF can create a PDF file out of it. This is why you can convert documents such as: DOC, DOCX, DJVU, XLS, XLSX, XPS, PPT, PPTX, DOT, EML, VSD, PUB, PUBX, MPP, WPD, OpenOffice, DWG, HTML, TXT, PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF and many others.
    That still left me with a text uncopyable, unsearchable file, which I converted to a searchable (also text copyable) PDF file using ABBYY (which has other conversions and a 100 other features as to which I'm stupid). The resultant PDF file is attached.

Then highlight and copy the text and paste it into Google translate, getting this:

ПОСТАНОВЛЕНИЕ
    Секретариата Ц К Комму н ис т и ч ес к о й Партии Со ве т с к о г о Союза
    О просьбах руководства Африканского национального совета
    Зимбабве (Родезия)
    Поручить Министерству обороны СССР, ГКЭС и Министерству
    внешней торговли изучить перечень просьб Африканского нацио-

нального совета Зимбабве (прилагается) и по согласованию с
    Госпланом СССР в двухнедельный срок внести в ЦК КПСС предложения
    по данному вопросу.
    and translate to this:

JUDGMENT
    Secretariat C To use Commu n t h ec and to party with about th ve to t otal Union
    On the request of the African National Council
    Zimbabwe (Rhodesia)
    Instruct the Ministry of Defense, and the Ministry of GKES
    Foreign Trade examine the list of requests for the African national
    'W
    National Council of Zimbabwe (attached) and in agreement with
    Gosplan in two weeks to submit proposals to the Central Committee
    on this issue.
    To clean it up, the pdf has to be compared and the Cyrillic corrected; and spaces removed in some words - but, at least, you have the context.

Regards

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files