Thread: Set of scanned Soviet KGB docs

Council Member

Default Set of scanned Soviet KGB docs

Set of docs about KGB support to different organisations around the globe. In Russian of course

http://psi.ece.jhu.edu/~kaplan/IRUSS...rr-wd-eng.html

Council Member

Default Solution to Russian Problem

Hi Kaur,

Interesting collection, but as you say it's in Russian - and the pdf files are not in copyable text.

Recently, I bought a CD-box version of ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition from Amazon - there are cheaper priced versions out there, but Caveat Emptor !! Alternatives are Omnipage and Adobe Acrobat; for my purposes & after reading a bunch of reviews, I decided on ABBYY. As such I am an ABBYY newbie - and what follows is down, dirty and doesn't use the full capabilities of the program.

I downloaded 0927 04-Apr-77 CT50/131 Ammunition for the military camp in Zimbabwe (from your link); and then separated page 1 by PRN to Disc using doPDF v7 (a good freebie).

400+ document types supported - the principle is this, if a document type is printable, then doPDF can create a PDF file out of it. This is why you can convert documents such as: DOC, DOCX, DJVU, XLS, XLSX, XPS, PPT, PPTX, DOT, EML, VSD, PUB, PUBX, MPP, WPD, OpenOffice, DWG, HTML, TXT, PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF and many others.
    That still left me with a text uncopyable, unsearchable file, which I converted to a searchable (also text copyable) PDF file using ABBYY (which has other conversions and a 100 other features as to which I'm stupid). The resultant PDF file is attached.

Then highlight and copy the text and paste it into Google translate, getting this:

ПОСТАНОВЛЕНИЕ
    Секретариата Ц К Комму н ис т и ч ес к о й Партии Со ве т с к о г о Союза
    О просьбах руководства Африканского национального совета
    Зимбабве (Родезия)
    Поручить Министерству обороны СССР, ГКЭС и Министерству
    внешней торговли изучить перечень просьб Африканского нацио-

нального совета Зимбабве (прилагается) и по согласованию с
    Госпланом СССР в двухнедельный срок внести в ЦК КПСС предложения
    по данному вопросу.
    and translate to this:

JUDGMENT
    Secretariat C To use Commu n t h ec and to party with about th ve to t otal Union
    On the request of the African National Council
    Zimbabwe (Rhodesia)
    Instruct the Ministry of Defense, and the Ministry of GKES
    Foreign Trade examine the list of requests for the African national
    'W
    National Council of Zimbabwe (attached) and in agreement with
    Gosplan in two weeks to submit proposals to the Central Committee
    on this issue.
    To clean it up, the pdf has to be compared and the Cyrillic corrected; and spaces removed in some words - but, at least, you have the context.

Regards

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Council Member

jmm99, thank you for hints! I found out that there is English section also

http://www.bukovsky-archives.net/pdf...rr-wd-eng.html

Council Member

Default Spy versus Spy

I found this interview with a former CIA and KGB somewhat interesting.

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2003/spies031303.html

Former CIA and KGB agents share inside look at espionage

Redmon was a CIA agent

Redmond acknowledged the KGB’s deep penetration into the U.S. government during the Cold War. He said if the Soviets had not collapsed and a military war resulted, the United States would have lost.

“When you look at what would have happened if there was a war, it was terrifying,” he said. “We would have lost because the Soviets and the Hungarians had the lot.

“When you look at the Soviet shuttle, it’s ours. The holes for the bolts are in the same place right down to the last millimeter.”
    Kalugin was KGB

Kalugin’s speech centered on KGB methodology and ideology. He said during the Cold War, the Soviet government was focused on the United States as its number-one enemy. The KGB received solid support from the government, which asked no moral questions about the KGB’s actions and policies.

“We conducted a clandestine war with assassination if necessary,” he said. “Our mission was to do everything we could to have a war without the fighting. This was seen as amoral in America, but it was our ideology.”
    AND

Kalugin listed several astonishing facts from a classified KGB report, proving just how much the organization is committed to counterintelligence. He said that in 1981 the KGB reported that they had funded or supported 70 books, 66 feature and documentary films, more than 100 television stations, 4,865 articles in magazines or newspapers, 300 conferences or exhibitions and 170,000 lectures around the world.
    They thoroughly infiltrated our media and universities, they may have won the long war if they weren't so corrupt and clinging to a bankrupt political system.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post

They thoroughly infiltrated our media and universities, they may have won the long war if they weren't so corrupt and clinging to a bankrupt political system.
    Is the long war over?

Is it possible Russia could restart it's program to undermine/distract/fracture the US with the same level of success they appear to have had with their earlier investment?

It's just my personal opinion, but I'm left with the distinct feeling that Soviet era product inserted into the US higher education system will have a rather long radioactive half-life.

It certainly seems like the well has been poisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I found this interview with a former CIA and KGB somewhat interesting.

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2003/spies031303.html

Former CIA and KGB agents share inside look at espionage

Redmon was a CIA agent

Kalugin was KGB

AND

Excellent find Bill,
    They were all over the Civil Rights Movement and the Black Liberation movements in the 60's and early 70's. They also supported books about UFO cover ups and JFK assassination conspiracies not because they believed any of that but because as was mentioned in the article they supported ANYTHING that would help to undermine the credibility of the US Government. Sadly they are very good at it

Council Member

Wanted: A Real War Of Ideas With Russia

Most glaringly, U.S. outreach requires resources in order to properly compete with that of Russia. Currently, the Voice of America’s Russia Service is funded to the paltry tune of just $13 million annually—a mere fraction of the $300 million a year that Russia Today alone is estimated to spend on its particular brand of “news.” At this level, U.S. public diplomacy toward the Russian-speaking world lacks anything resembling the scope and reach needed to counter the Kremlin.
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...s-russia-10813

KGB efforts against western radio stations. Scanned Mitrokhin notes.

http://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/110123