Thread: Special Forces Use of Pack Animals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As an old cowboy, I found the 1940 Marine Corps Small Wars Manual had one of the better sections on the care, feeding, handling and training of pack animals and the associated equipment. I believe it even went into how to manufacture the pack equipment locally if necessary, and how to acclimate foreign animals to new locatiosn.

Default Mars Task Force

I realize that this an older post, but a link to it is what brought me to this board. I just want to make you all aware of the other Long Range Penetration Unit that took up the mission from the Marauders at Myitkyina and continued on to open up the Burma Road. The Mars Task Force, the 5332d Brigade, was also a unit that moved with mules. My Father was a member of C Bty, 612th Field Artillery Bn (Pack), which, along with the 613th FA (PAK) was the artillery slice of the task force. They employed the 75mm Pack Howitzer which was designed to be broken down and packed on mules. Despite the fact that they carried out the same mission in the same area as Merrill's Marauders, the Mars Task Force is not nearly as well known. After they opened the route to China, the Mars Men rolled over into a FID role and trained members of the Chinese Army in a wide range of military tasks.

Many years later, the members of the Mars Task Force were authorized, along with other units from WWII who carried out unconventional missions but were never designated as such, to wear the Green Beret.
    Take Responsibility For Your Actions

Default Khyber Pass to Italy: WW2 mule OB

Maybe should be in the Obituary thread, but seems best here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...or-Warren.html

davidbfpo

I just finished a basic horse and mule packing course. I have seen 250 lbs used a number of times on this board and I know that it was in the old manual but we were taught no more than 10 -15% of the animals body weight, which meant about 150lbs as an upper limit. I wasn't really all that impressed with the animals. They tended to be willful stubborn and high maintenance.

SFC W

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    They tend to be willful stubborn and high maintenance.

SFC W
    So are some council members, but you learn to love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.

Default I resemble that remark...

and the Mules...

Council Member

I wasn't really all that impressed with the animals. They tended to be willful stubborn and high maintenance.
    They can be at that. Yet, was it likely any different for a Mongol packing a Bactrian camel?

Of course, many NCOs think that troops tend to be willful, stubborn, and high maintenance too.

It is what it is.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Council Member

Default This is a plug for some real experts

Uboat, RFD TV has a number of programs devoted to equine training. One of them even deals with mules and donkeys. Horses, donkeys, and mules are smart animals with lots of quirks but they all respond to repetition, intelligently applied pressure, and release. One of my favorite trainers, Aussie born Clinton Anderson has a training motto, "As gentle as possible, as firm as necessary TO GET THE JOB DONE."

Pretty good for all stubborn, high maintenance old mules...

Cheers

JohnT

The problem is that, as far as I can see, the areas where these animals might be preferable to more modern modes of transport is very narrow. Excluding their use as a means of blending into the local population, which is a different issue, there really aren't many places where I could not do the same job better with modern equipment. I am aware that these animals can be trained and used effectively but I can't help but feel that it is not worth the effort when there are better means available.

SFC W

I just finished a basic horse and mule packing course. I have seen 250 lbs used a number of times on this board and I know that it was in the old manual but we were taught no more than 10 -15% of the animals body weight, which meant about 150lbs as an upper limit. I wasn't really all that impressed with the animals. They tended to be willful stubborn and high maintenance.

SFC W
    You need a Mule Skinner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70GS...eature=related

Council Member

Default Ghost Soldiers

I think that is the title of a book about Rangers rescuing Allied POWs in the Phillippines. Their original MOS was Mule Skinner.