Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Special Forces Use of Pack Animals

Council Member

He will load 70-80lbs in some cases. Usually that's for a short trip. Often not so much for longer multi-day trips. The animals have to pack off and on all summer so it becomes an issue of sustainment.

So you can see, it's similar to a man with a rucksack. Someone in shape can often do 70-80lbs, but not usually for any great distance day after day.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Council Member

Default In the Andes

llamas traditionally pack up to 100 pounds.

Cheers

JohnT

Council Member

Default Another viewpoint:

Something regarding the difference I've alluded to between what an animal can do a few times and what an animal can sustain: an excerpt from Norman Maclean's excellent short story "USFS 1919: The Ranger, the Cook, and a Hole in the Sky":

"...each of the side packs has to weigh the same and together (with the top pack) they shouldn't weigh more than 175 pounds for a horse and 225 for a mule - at least, those were the Forest Service regulations then, but they were twenty-five pounds too heavy if the animals weren't to be bone heaps by the middle of the summer."

Montana author Norman Maclean, some may remember, also wrote "A River Runs through It."
    Last edited by Rifleman; 10-02-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: deleted extra word
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Something regarding the difference I've alluded to between what an animal can do a few times and what an animal can sustain: an excerpt from Norman Maclean's excellent short story "USFS 1919: The Ranger, the Cook, and a Hole in the Sky":

"...each of the side packs has to weigh the same and together (with the top pack) they shouldn't weigh more than 175 pounds for a horse and 225 for a mule - at least, those were the Forest Service regulations then, but they were twenty-five pounds too heavy if the animals weren't to be bone heaps by the middle of the summer."

Montana author Norman Maclean, some may remember, was also wrote "A River Runs through It."
    They made a movie out of it with Sam Elliot--pretty good but went to video straight away

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel
    llamas traditionally pack up to 100 pounds.
    Kings of War, 17 Jan 09: Llamas, Airborne
    Last week I spent a day in the Galilee with the chief llama trainer of the Israeli army......

The Austrians still like them blond

In Italy, on the other hand the last mulis were discarded with onore and sold
    Il 7 settembre 1993 presso la caserma D'Angelo di Belluno, vennero venduti all'asta per ordine del Ministero della Difesa, gli ultimi 24 muli in forza agli alpini.[1]

Firn

Default German mule

Jedburgh,

You missed the link to the German Bundeswehr mule: http://www.panzerbaer.de/helper/pix/..._muli-002i.jpg

It was alongside the Israeli llama trainer.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Inefficient technique

I think this guy misunderstood the term "pack animal"...

If you look closely enough you will see that the guy unterstood that term and his role just too well, as did over 2000 years ago certain soldiers

Firn

P.S: Perhaps I'm just spoiled by some practical jokers
    Last edited by Firn; 01-19-2010 at 08:34 PM.

I heard that during the 1960s the Golden Knights, the U.S. Army parachute team, made use of a 75mm pack howitzer, a weapon designed to be disassembled and transported by pack mules. When headquarters at Fort Detrick, Maryland abruptly cancelled a planned parachute demonstration by the Golden Knights, the next evening at Retreat ceremony when the post howitzer next to the flag pole was fired using a blank the air was filled with the contents of several feather pillows, which floated lazily down onto the drill field.

Quote Originally Posted by JarodParker View Post

I am thinking brand new 2LT, fresh out of OBC.

SFC W

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by JarodParker View Post

You got issued it. I guess you are supposed to carry it. Right?
    - a bit like the WW1 wire cutters and wire gloves they give you to carry on the UK Junior Commanders course!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default You forgot to mention that those WW II wirecutters

couldn't cope with post-1950 hardened and annealed wires much less barbed tape. Stupid wire cutters would chip and flake off if you even tried to cut the wire in anyone's Concertina. Yet they got carried around for years...

I was the SNOCIC of the Animal Pack Program (MCMWTC) Bridgeport Ca. in the mid 80's. Training Blts would send me 8 - 10 Marines to train. I recieved my training from Bud Nelsons Packing in Jackson Hole Wy. (that old drunk guy) I packed Mules all year round. Summer and Winter. I ran a Bell Mare and a eight (8) Mule string. At that time I was the only school trained "Mule Skinner" in the Marine Corps. I haven't been back in years, would like to know if it is still going ?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by E6TLS0369 View Post
    I recieved my training from Bud Nelsons Packing in Jackson Hole Wy. (that old drunk guy)
    Funny you should mention Uncle Bud.

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...60&postcount=2

Now who do you reckon I was talking about?

You mentioned that you worked for Nelson, when was that ?
    Most people go through life wondering if they have made a difference, United States Marines do no have that problem, Pres. R. Regan 1985

Council Member

PM inbound

Council Member

Trained bucks (?) in Soviet army.

http://www.popmech.ru/article/6840-rogataya-kavaleriya/

Ps this is Fools Day edition
    Last edited by kaur; 04-18-2010 at 10:59 AM.