Back to the original idea. I don't buy the idea that because there aren't 298,144,215 walking around in the streets for any stated reason can be stated as passive consent for any government policy.

For example, there is alot of opposition to the administration's trying to ram that immigration bill through Congress, with its allies. Somebody could write some article saying "298,144,215 fail to hold demonstrations opposing the President's immigration bill." Would that mean that really there is a silent majority backing the bill, merely because there is an absense of folks with jobs and something better to do that meander around on a public road chanting something? I think not.

The way I read the situation, opponents of the war do not think that holding some kind of anti-Iraq war demonstration would really change anything. Does anyone seriously think walking around on a public road waving some sign will seriously alter the behavior of the Administration, either on the Iraq war, immigration, or whatever? Of course not! People who disagree with the Iraq war have focused their efforts, instead, on working to nominate a candidate for President who shares their views on the issue. They see that as a more constructive strategy.

If you don't believe in the Iraq war, you are free to opt out of fighting it, since there is no draft. Start a draft, and I suspect we'd start seeing some genuine civil disobedience.

I have serious doubts about this democracy project in Mesopotamia we've taken on. I just don't think it is going to work, mainly because I don't see how the current government in Baghdad can get the support of the people. Isn't the power behind Mailik's coalition Al Sadr's party? I just don't see how this government is going to establish itself over that country, surge or no surge. Call it pragmatic skepticism. But I don't trace that to any conscious nihilistic philosophical impulses on my part. I do have a couple of books by Nietzsche on my bookshelf in my study. They are interesting books, but that is about it. Who's walking around thinking to themself, "What would Nietzsche think about Iraq? Whatever that is, that's what I think."