Quote Originally Posted by SWCAdmin View Post
I agree with a lot of Culpepper's post, but I have to concur with you there, Lastdingo. Only after looking it up to make sure I knew what nihilism really was.

Rather than saying that neither anti- or pro-war are preferable or true, I took Lastdingo to be saying almost the opposite in that the lack of a pro-war demonstration validated the anti-war demonstration and gave it more virtue. Not to me, it doesn't.

After a little reflection, I will add a clarificaiton that was underlying my prior post but not stated clearly. There is a HUGE gap in my mind between the popular anti-war demonstrations and the significant and substantial anti-war arguments. I find the bulk of the former in practice to be naively idealistic (downplaying ?). There is a world of difference between anti-all-war moaning, and pragmatic anti-this-war or -that-war-this-way-and-because-of-this reasoning. Unfortunately, the latter are too often confounded with politics, naysaying, and obstructionism to be as compelling as they often should be.
I was referring to the philosophy of nihilism, which is an extreme form of skepticism. It is denial of existence or objective truth. I wasn't referring to nihilism as most folks think of it, which would be anarchy or rejection of the establishment.