Thread: Russian Info, Cyber and Disinformation (Catch all till 2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    IF you had been tracking the Ukrainian thread...
    I gotta ask, is your tone argumentative?

This onion is even beginning to unpeel and quite frankly, given the revelations of the LA Times/UCLA 2016 polls I'm thinking all the social media hubaloo had little effect on those who voted for Trump/against Clinton. *Shrug*
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Notable in that the source is the WaPo, see bold

Considering that the American mainstream media generated most of the Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt in this situation the Russians seem to have effectively gotten their target to do the heavy lifting.

Recently, New York magazine#set the Internet on fire with a piece speculating that hacked voting machines may have tipped November’s presidential election.
    This is dangerous, and not just because there’s no evidence that Russia “stole the election.” Talking about these voting machines distracts us from what such speculation represents: the success of a broader Russian strategy to weaken Americans’ trust in democracy.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.86ef5a18fcf6
    Last edited by AdamG; 11-28-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    I gotta ask, is your tone argumentative?

This onion is even beginning to unpeel and quite frankly, given the revelations of the LA Times/UCLA 2016 polls I'm thinking all the social media hubaloo had little effect on those who voted for Trump/against Clinton. *Shrug*
    Argumentative...question mark...maybe but I am one after two long years of Russian info warfare and hacking of US groups and federal government ....that does believe in the power of social media to mobilize voters.....when I see the millions of followers of the alt right social media sites...and their comments on B in the millions and when I hear in direct MSM interviews that many Trump voters get their information from social media and trump's on use of twitter....

REMEMBERING that a 1/3rd of all proTrump Twitter and FB comments came from Macedonia and that 70% of all anti Ukraine/proSyrian comments come right now from a single Russian troll company in St. Petersburg.....

Draw your own conclusions.....

But if I was you I would give it some serious thought....

I could take the time do a single link analysis of one single fake story and how it worked it's way from St. Petersburg...through four right wing US sites..then onto Brietbart.com and then to Fox and then to CNN....

Eye opener....

BUT one must thoroughly understand the 6Ds of propaganda....and or disinformation driven by all these days....and disinformation driven by the US WH as well....

Distort....Distract....Dismay...Dismiss ALL designed to create Doubt and Distrust......

If everyone took the time to view and read articles using the above 6Ds ...we would be a lot better off these days....and after reading ask the question...WHAT is the underlying narrative and WHY....
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 11-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.