Thread: Watching the IDF (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Trying to find a sowing somewhere in north carolina. Looks like a good time
    You should see if the studio could arrange a screening at Ft Bragg. It would be free PR for them because the Washington Post can then run a “Army Screens Controversial Israeli Peace Documentary” type article.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Default Dror Moreh interview.

Director Dror Moreh is going to be the guest on Fresh Air today (28 February 2013).
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

I caught The Gatekeepers at a matinée yesterday and much enjoyed it. I would not have minded it being a bit shorter but I did not find it tiresome. And it is not just a collection of talking heads as some reviews have suggested.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Council Member

Great documentary. Very talented!!!

They must be connected to Goldman Sachs and the Israel Lobby...what you say?
    I support our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by parvati View Post
    They must be connected to Goldman Sachs and the Israel Lobby...what you say?
    FWIW, I do believe I was the only goy in attendance at the showing! There were thirteen of us in the theater for a 1:40 showing in a rural New England town. Not a bad crowd for that kind of film under the circumstances, if you ask me!

I thought the decision to hold off showing any blood and guts visuals until near the end (with the photos from Yahya Ayyash's funeral and the aerial view of the bombed bus full of mangled bodies) had an interesting effect as opposed to showing some of that upfront and letting it set the tone. But Israeli and Palestinian viewers are so inured to that sort of footage that I have to assume it made little difference to them.

Council Member

Default What is up with that?

Seriously the Israelis and the Palestians in the East Coast seem numb to that - minus some Hassidums I've met(but several of even the the Hassidumu seem antiwar pro Palestiinian rights--- does that make any sense to you?). Like seriously Ive met Hassidum jews working for anti-occupation Palestinian rights? Hmmm.... What can I say?

The documentary was ok? People around you seem pretty liberal, yeaH?
    I support our troops!

Seriously the Israelis and the Palestians in the East Coast seem numb to that - minus some Hassidums I've met(but several of even the the Hassidumu seem antiwar pro Palestiinian rights--- does that make any sense to you?). Like seriously Ive met Hassidum jews working for anti-occupation Palestinian rights? Hmmm.... What can I say?
    I believe there are some ultra-orthodox sects that are anti-zionist.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Seriously the Israelis and the Palestians in the East Coast seem numb to that - minus some Hassidums I've met(but several of even the the Hassidumu seem antiwar pro Palestiinian rights--- does that make any sense to you?).
    There's Matisyahu, so it makes a little sense, I guess!

The documentary was ok? People around you seem pretty liberal, yeaH?
    Solidly Democratic, for sure. But some Dems are vicious pro-Israel hawks and sometimes you get anti-Israel conservatives (I won't say that all of them are anti-Semites, but some of them do give that impression).