Thread: Airliner missing between Malaysia and Cambodia/Vietnam, terrorism possible

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Default Bits and pieces

A London tabloid reported yesterday that the pilot was a strong supporter of the PKR (Malaysian opposition political party) and its leader Anwar Ibrahim. Anwar's acquittal (on sodomy charges, generally believed to be trumped up) was overturned Friday, just before the flight departed, sending him back to prison. The theory was that the pilot could have been angry enough to go off (or into) the deep end. The problem with that is that the whole event seems well planned, not impulse-driven, and of course if the hijacking were meant as a political statement, you'd expect to see some kind of a political statement coming out of it. Of course it's possible that a struggle in the course of events left the crew disabled and the aircraft flying out to sea before a statement could be delivered.

The PKR has released a statement saying that the pilot was an active member of the party, but denying that he attended Anwar's trial:

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-co...ember-1.515965

The PKR is a moderate, multi-racial, secular reformist party campaigning primarily on issues centered on corruption and equal justice, with strong support among urban, educated, relatively affluent Malaysians, a bracket to which a senior MAS pilot would belong. One takeaway from the revelation is that if the pilot was active PKR he was almost certainly not involved with Islamic extremist groups, the two are at opposite political poles.

Decent summary of what's currently been released:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ally-know.html

A source familiar with US assessments of satellite signals said it appeared most likely the plane turned south over the Indian Ocean, where it would presumably have run out of fuel and crashed.

The other interpretation was that MH370 flew to the north-west and headed over India.

But it is unlikely the plane flew here for any length of time. India has strong radar coverage that should have allowed authorities there to intercept the plane.
    The southern route seems to me most compatible with a "disabled crew" scenario, while the northern fits the "incredibly devious plot" scenarios.

Malaysia officially requests assistance from practically everybody, as well they might:

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Natio...-15-countries/
    Malaysian officials are contacting their counterparts in at least 15 countries located along the northern and southern corridors where MH370 could have flown along to seek assistance.

In a press statement Sunday, the Transport Ministry said the countries included Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, China, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia and France.

"Officials are requesting assistance (from these countries)," the statement said, adding that Malaysia was also asking related countries to provide further assistance including satellite data and analysis, ground-search capabilities, radar data and maritime and air assets.

Malaysian officials were currently discussing with all partners how best to deploy assets along the two corridors.

"Both the northern and southern corridors are being treated with equal importance."
    Pakistan denies that the plane is in their territory:

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Natio...-in-territory/

I've limited to nonexistent trust in Pakistani authorities, but in this case I suspect they are right: it is hard to see how the plane could have flown there without triggering some kind of response from Indian and/or Chinese air defense systems.
    Last edited by Dayuhan; 03-16-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken