Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: United Nations ReliefWeb

Quote Originally Posted by redbullets View Post
    Thanks, I'm happy to have found this (quite late in the game, given my line of work, so the lick's on me).

WRA is our largest donor, bar none. The head of the office is my former immediate supervisor at VVAF/VFA, and the HMA community is a small one, so everyone knows everyone.

Where are you, by the way? We might have some folks nearby your location.

What needs to happen with this project? I think you'll find that the UN agencies are more involved in coordinating and usually use NGO implementing partners to get things done. However, if you e-mail me what you need from UNICEF, or more generally what your trying to accomplish and what resources you're trying to obtain, I'll share what I know.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
    I'm in Estonia. I've known Dennis H. for years and USMC COL Stu is, or already has retired. Marcus is now doing our program management. They came by this year (a tad early as it was friggin' cold), and things went extremely well.

I want to sell a MRE campaign to UNICEF - target audience 7 to 15. I know I can bug the folks at EUCOM (Stu C. is no longer there, but he has always helped out and promised to do so again, and his staff there know me from my RONCO days).

My beef was/is with UNICEF. They could've at least sent me hate mail with a big fat NO. The contact info I received was from EUCOM. I doubt I got the wrong person at UNICEF. Maybe I asked for too little ?

I wanted them to come in and tell me what they do. I can and already do preach at schools - nothing new there.

Regards, Stan

Yep, Stu just retired last week. Dennis is still the man. Marcus is a good guy, I think he's going to be a great addition to that office. I'm doing my office call with Stu's replacement later this week.

Who are you working for in Estonia? My advice in dealing with this would be to get buy in with whatever UN offices are on the ground there (probaly UNDP?). There seems to be a bit sharper leadership in UNDP Mine Action these days, and John Flanagan is still the number 2 at UNMAS, so I can just ask him who's the power-that-is in Estonia for this stuff. Since you've been around this, you know how this stuff is different from one country to the next, depending upon which UN agency has the lead, and the quality of the people leading it.

I have heard that there has been a person above the UNICEF mine action office/NYC in the chain-of-command there who is not a big mine action supporter - one of those who view mine action as a distractor (when approached as a seperate sector/cluster as opposed to being integrated with the "traditional" sectors/clusters). I'll call the number 2 at UNICEF mine action and find out what they know about this, and if they can do anything.

Do you have a concept paper or outline that I can review and send on to them?

Cheers,

Joe

P. S. I'm still by visiting with somone or another at the RONCO offices in Washington about once a month. Now that Larry S. is gone, the guy I'm tightest with is probably Mike H. in Baghdad.

Quote Originally Posted by redbullets View Post
    Yep, Stu just retired last week. Dennis is still the man. Marcus is a good guy, I think he's going to be a great addition to that office. I'm doing my office call with Stu's replacement later this week.

Who are you working for in Estonia? My advice in dealing with this would be to get buy in with whatever UN offices are on the ground there (probaly UNDP?). There seems to be a bit sharper leadership in UNDP Mine Action these days, and John Flanagan is still the number 2 at UNMAS, so I can just ask him who's the power-that-is in Estonia for this stuff. Since you've been around this, you know how this stuff is different from one country to the next, depending upon which UN agency has the lead, and the quality of the people leading it.

I have heard that there has been a person above the UNICEF mine action office/NYC in the chain-of-command there who is not a big mine action supporter - one of those who view mine action as a distractor (when approached as a seperate sector/cluster as opposed to being integrated with the "traditional" sectors/clusters). I'll call the number 2 at UNICEF mine action and find out what they know about this, and if they can do anything.

Do you have a concept paper or outline that I can review and send on to them?

Cheers,

Joe

P. S. I'm still by visiting with somone or another at the RONCO offices in Washington about once a month. Now that Larry S. is gone, the guy I'm tightest with is probably Mike H. in Baghdad.
    Glad to see Stu retired and hopefully off doing what he wants (he will never forget the USMC). Dennis has saved our program more times than I care to count. When RONCO's contract ended, the Rescue Board took over and kept me on. Long story, and we'll need a few beers in order to cover the last 12 years

My initial step with UNICEF is to duplicate our MRE onto CDs in three languages and say 150 copies. About 2 grand USD. If willing, get same on a website. Just small steps as the critical period (Spring) is gone. Now need to try and address school children in February 08.

I'm also interested in what they would like to do. I've got the history and ugly pictures of children blown in two.

Regards, Stan

PS. Don't know Mike very well, but Larry was number one during my RONCO time and Bart handled my programs.
    All these retired dudes !
    Last edited by Stan; 08-06-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Dumped the links