Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reber View Post
Hello Marc !
I like this (yes, that would be a compliment) !
I am only now gaining an appreciation for your free anthro lessons
Free? Damn, don't tell my wife!

Truth be told, back when Rob started his thread and You, Tom and I jumped in with all "fours", I neglected to check your profile and simply jumped in hammering the need for Anthro classes! I would later feel like a real Delta Hotel (but I did get over it ).
LOLOL Hey, Stan, I feel like that all the time - and, yeah, I get over it .

Social Science and especially religion was something I ran away from once in the Armed Forces and away from what I, a 17 year old, felt was no longer relevant.

In reality, it was not only relevant, but significant. I used it, learned from it and made it out of Africa with it. Much like Tom's descriptions once he left, my nightmares would also come, very unwelcomed.
I guess it's always been one of my passions . What has always toasted my cookies is that both social science and religion tend to be taught so poorly! I've tried to remember that when I teach... to make it interesting and relevant to what's going on. I remember one class I had on the Anthropology of Religion, and I'm lecturing on about the great theorists and their models. Needless to say, my students decided that "meditation" (aka sleep") was a good response. So I thought, "What the heck" and asked them if any of them knew how to cast love spells. That perked them up! In the end, I spent 2 hours talking about it and sneaking in the theory.

Marc