Thread: Searching for the family of a WWII hero

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Searching for the family of a WWII hero

Hello everyone. My name is Nathan Hooker and my wife and I are searching for the family of American WWII hero of the Japanese siege of the Philippines named Cpt. or Maj.(unclear) Walter Mickey Cushing, killed in action Sept. 1942, in Ilocos area Philippines. He is a cherished icon in the Philippines and an organization named in his honor is seeking his family. If anyone has any information or can help with this search, it would be greatly appreciated. You can reply to my thread here or contact me via e-mail at nathanhooker90@yahoo.com. Thank you and good day to you all.

Have you reached out to the Bataan veterans survivor organization? They may have several options to pursue.

Thank your for the info, jcustis. I will most certainly check that out.

Default There's a clue here already!

Nathan,

have you looked at the SWJ Blog review of 'American Guerrilla: The Forgotten Heroics of Russell W. Volckmann-The Man Who Escaped from Bataan, Raised a Filipino Army Against the Japanese, and Became the True "Father" of Army Special Forces by Mike Guardia. See:http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/american-guerrilla

In the Comments there are IMO hopeful comments by 'Guerilla Daughter' and Jennifer Terrault who states:
    My great grandfather was Captain Walter Cushing.
    There is no email given, but 'Guerilla Daughter' appears to likely to have her email.

I only checked Google and the SWJ Blog piece was first! There are many entries on Google, but I assume you have waded through those.

I have emailed Nathan and 'Guerilla Daughter' - having connected her to the book's author in 2012.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-23-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    davidbfpo

Thanks a lot David. I have read many of the Google entries there and I did see that book by Mr. Guardia, but I have not seen that entry by "Guerilla Grandaughter. That's a great lead and I appreciate you bringing that to my attention. I will post more here on my findings. Again, thank you David!

Default Two updates

Please refer to the updated SWJ Blog thread. We do have an update that maybe of interest.

'Guerilla Daughter' has sent an update along with a caveat that the work is steady and no date is end - being a housewife / homemaker.

She is the daughter of Colonel Arthur Philip Murphy, a now-deceased American Army officer who was an integral part of USAFIP-NL and:
    for the past two years I've been working on writing my father's memoirs. I do have more than 300 pages written (20 chapters) and am, chronologically, late into 1943, so maybe one of these days I'll reach the end. I'm writing about his days as a guerrilla in North Luzon during WWII. He never surrendered, was never captured and never wounded (if you don't count malaria) and ended up serving as Chief of Staff for Russell W. Volckmann toward the end of the war. Volckmann commanded the United States Army Forces in the Philippines, North Luzon (USFIP-NL).

I am sure she will update us when her research is complete and finds a publisher.

If anyone knows a Jennifer Terrault, who posted an update on the SWJ Blog thread in January & June 2012, can they update her - alas we have no email address. She stated:
    My great grandfather was Captain Walter Cushing
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-13-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: fix quote
    davidbfpo

Default Searching for the family of a WWII hero

hi, i am looking to respond to a web search on "Walter Mickey Cushing" which took me to this site and now looking for info on my grandfather Walter Mickey Cushing. hope i am finding my way around.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-13-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Copied here from intro Hail & farwell post by ridnbc

ridnbc,

You can find several threads using the search option, but the thread you seek is:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=20529

Somehow I managed to connect one searcher before, but not another. Have a peek.

Just spotted your update on my profile:
    I know "Guerilla Daughter" Jennifer Terault. She is my niece. Walter Mickey Cushing is my grandfather. His daughter Betsy Joan Cushing was my mother.
    Great news that you can update Jennifer! Copied this post to update the thread.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-13-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Copied here from intro Hail & farwell post by ridnbc
    davidbfpo