Thread: The Russian economy (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    I do read most of the posts, though given the sheer volume and occasional incoherence it's always possible to miss something. I've seen little or nothing that indicates a specific suggestion. From JMA the closest I saw was a presumably facetious recommendation that the Ukraine be provided with nuclear weapons.

I've said from the start that the response should be multilateral, economic, and graduated, so we're not so far off being on the same page there. I try not to suggest specific economic sanctions, because I don't have the access to detailed data or the number crunching expertise to determine the cost/benefit relations of specific possibilities. If it were up to me I'd have had a team of experts on the Russian economy serving up lists of possibilities with projected impacts for each. I assume that this has been done.

Which specific red line do you mean?

I find it interesting that you say "Putin has totally established a dictatorship" and a few paragraphs later "Putin is struggling to get reelected". That seems to be a bit of a disconnect; can you explain?

I agree that Putin has backed himself into a corner: his proxies are failing despite very overt support, and now all his options are bad. This is a common problem in proxy war, as the US well knows: if your proxies can't do the job you're left without good options.

The question now is how to get him to take the bad option we prefer: not invading. Economic threats are part of that. So is undercutting the pretext: the last thing we need right now is a bunch of dead ethnic Russian civilians.

AP will have to respond to that; as I said before I don't see much point in negotiating without a solid supply of carrots and sticks at hand. The question is what the most effective carrots and sticks would be, and how and when they should be deployed.
    Dayuhan--you need more actual physical interaction on a daily basis with Russian politicians and military and you then would understand that yes in fact he has established an authoritarian rule quasi a dictatorship actually more like the head of multinational corporation as Russia is made up of 4 distinct ruling elites.

Russia the former SU has a pendent to holding onto legal documents as if they somehow justify and grant that country or person "legal rights"---go back and reread all Russian comments especially Russian FM comments and count the number of times they mention that certain agreements, treaties, actions are in their view illegal---that goes to the concept that "the shine of legality" gives them their power--that is until that agreement, memo, treaty blocks them then they will totally ignore the fact they are in violation of the very agreements they signed.

Actually that should not surprise anyone as that was the core statement that Stalin told a high ranking Communist Party meeting in 1939.

Go back and reread Putin's Duma comments and his press conferences and list the arguments he states he considers the West having violated as his reasoning for moving into the Crimea and eastern Ukraine---it is in the public domain to be read by all---although some commenters here tend to not do that often enough.

Here is one of those statements---NATO has violated the agreements with Russia on the expansion into the bordering countries next to Russia---actually count the number of times that has been stated by both the Russian FM and Putin himself---then actually do the research and try to find that signed agreement---there exists none---it was a conversation between Gorbi and Bush that was not followed up on and signed into agreements---now explain to me just how an "agreement" is considered an agreement if verbal---and yes I know in some countries a verbal agreement can and is often considered a legal contract. The closest thing to an agreement that Putin loves referencing was the German Reunification Agreements 4 plus 2 and even Russian FM and Putin state them differently to the world than what is written in them---again cognitive dissonance.

I have dealt with Russian officers in 2012 and 2013--if you misused one word or sentence you could find yourself later arguing over that word or sentence as they will hold it in your face and blatantly state---this is what you said so it was agreed to but attempt to find it in the hand written recorded statements and the running video.

This is a major problem when dealing officially with Russian government officials---this cognitive dissonance penetrates into even the lowest ranking Russian officer or government official.

These "legal documents" grant them the cover and yes even a "democratically "appearing election however rigged is considered "legality" to the ruler ie Putin as he can say to the west see I am supported by 98% of the population so therefore you must deal with me the ruler of Russia not the political parties. this was if you noticed the argument on the Crimea elections--Dayuhan notice the trend--it is always there and when AP claims that negotiations are the way forward then he knows nothing on how to counter cognitive dissonance. That is why he is so set on getting reelected ---it gives him the appearance of "legality"--outside of his ego thing he has going for him.

I have stated here a number of times--this type of thinking often leads authoritarian leaders to believe their own propaganda and often that leads them into an altered state of reality which by the way Putin is in if you view his food ban decision in the light of cognitive dissonance--ie the belief that somehow this great milk and beef producing machine in Russian can replace overnight imports of upwards and depending on product 63% ---and that overnight ---and again "without" hurting the Russian consumer as that is what he told his population.

Remember even a population can be affected by cognitive dissonance if the propaganda begins to be believed as the "truth" as it must be "true" as our "democratically elected" leaders are the ones telling us.

In opposition to AP---we do not need negotiations right now we need a team of psychologists to talk to Putin as they are about the only ones capable of understanding this cognitive dissonance of his.

IMO that is why right now no western leader --not even Merkel is not getting through to Putin--they have no earthly idea how to deal with cognitive dissonance at the leadership levels as western leaders tend to work in the realm of logic and rational though processes---not the emotional world that causes decisions to sometimes go left instead of the intended right which Putin finds himself in right now in eastern Ukraine.

There though is one who fully understands Putin and has actually out maneuvered him---the current Ukrainian President.

It might sound racist but is not meant to be--it takes a Slav to understand a Slav.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 08-10-2014 at 08:51 AM.