Thread: The Russian economy (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Return of Russia's economic rollercoaster:

His son is a captain in the fire brigade. His salary was 60,000 rubles a month but he had told his father that the ministry in charge of the emergency services had just announced to its employees that their salaries would be slashed to 15,000 a month - around 190 euros.

In February the government announced its members would take a 10-percent cut from their 250,000 ruble a month pay packets, but this goes far beyond that.

"I'm so mad I just want to punch the minister in the face," the driver said, wondering how on earth his family would survive.
    I guess the author means by 15,000 and not to 15,000. However the follow snippet tells an even worse story:

Tough times

On hearing this we rang a friend who works for the fire department, albeit at a lower rank. His story was worse. He hadn't been paid for December. He won't be paid in January and said he'd be lucky if he was paid in February - and if he is, it won't be at his usual rate.
    Russian Cinema Attendance during New Year was down 30%, so the great wage decline of 2015 did take its toll also there.

There is also an interesting bit about the flight of capital, which was a big topic in this thread and with $150 billion a big flow in 2014:

A few months back staff at airports actively started asking if passengers were carrying cash out of the country since amounts above $10,000 must be declared. The last time they asked me, my reply was simple: "Unfortunately not," but the border guard said I'd be surprised how many people were carrying bags of cash in their hand luggage.
    Last edited by Firn; 01-12-2016 at 08:58 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935