Thread: The Russian economy (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    My suggestion was and remains: negotiate. The coercive tools available to the U.S. are not sufficient to fully dislodge Russia from Ukraine. Nor is Ukraine the exclusive or primary security interest of the U.S. The only reason why policy discussions in recent weeks have drifted to talks about increasing U.S. security commitments to Europe is to signal to NATO's eastern European members that they won't be left in the lurch - it has nothing to do with actually restoring Ukraine's territorial integrity.

You not only advocate aggressively reversing Russia's gains, but also to disarm Russia entirely. Despite repeated questions from Dayuhan on how that could be achieved, you have been silent in answering how you would disarm a nuclear state, and do so without further threatening U.S. security interests in Europe and elsewhere.

Frankly, your ideas are poorly thought-out and would only lead to further erosions in U.S. security.
    AP--US security went down the drain in 2003 actually it went down the drain starting in Beirut in the 80s. Security went down the drain when the green flags of Hezbollah were walked into Lebanon, security went down the drain when all US military power was pulled out of Europe, security went down the drain when we decided soft power works over hard power. Security went down the drain when we expanded in AFG after 2001 , and security went down the drain when the political parties in Congress decided drinking tea was better than governing. Security went down the drain when banks blew up the property bubble and no one went to jail. Security went down the drain when the drug cartels were allowed to expand into the US when no one cared what they were doing down south but some political parties in the US were interested more in what the ATF was doing.

AP the list could go on and on and on....

AP---still awaiting your response to the FP article paragraph for paragraph---let's see how you respond to the reality in the field not in your comments.

It is reality that needs an answer.

By the way hope which you state often is and will never be a strategy. One can actually define negotiations as being a form of "hope".

By the way NEGOIATE for what? A return of the Crimea , a return to the former Soviet Union that Putin envisions, or a return to the Cold War or a return of Stalin or a return of the Czar-negotiate a return of Russian ethnic nationalism which is really a form of fascism--again negotiate for what AP?

Again AP negotiate for what?--not firing artillery and MRLs into the Ukraine, or negotiate for what not killing none Christians as defined by Russian Cossack mercenaries---again AP negotiate for what?

By the way --this goes to just how you read---have I ever here advocated for disarming Russia---what I have advocated is making sure they fully understand the red lines and that there is a price for attempting to rewrite Soviet history that was doomed by the poor Russian decision making of that period and a collapsed Soviet economy due to the low price of oil ---not by anything the West was alleged to have done.

Come on AP quote back to me where I advocated the disarming of Russia.

I keep asking you--why does the world need a Russia which is in reality a developing second world country that envisions itself as the third superpower?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-12-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Edited slightly or completly by Moderator to enable thread to be reopened