Thread: Iraq: Out of the desert into Mosul (closed)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

David,

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Citing Crowbat (in part):

I am aware that Iran has a Kurdish community, although not one noted to my knowledge for being a violent insurgency.
    Iran has a large minority of Kurds, and even a province named Kurdistan. One of 'classics' about Iran is that any government in Tehran is in serious trouble only once there is (usually Kurdish-led) demo/protest/unrest/violence in Tabriz - one of areas densely populated by Kurds. That's, just for example, how the affair that ended with downfall of the Shah began. Immediately afterwards, the first major crisis of the then newly-born Islamic Republic of Iran was a major uprising of Kurdish separatists in the same part of Iran. This ended only because of Iraqi invasion of Iran, in September 1980....

And re. 'not one noted...for being a violent insurgency': permit me to remind you of the Kurdish terrorist group named PJAK, which is launching attacks into Iran since years.

Just because Tehran says they're supported by Israel, this shouldn't mean we all ought to 'suddenly forget' about them.

So there are Kurds in the Iranian prison system, whether for criminal or political reasons. IIRC Evin Prison is for political prisoners, Wiki states only a 'wing' is so used:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evin_Prison

So Kurds were covertly recruited in the prison, that I can follow as few prisons have total control - though a political wing can be different (as Israel has shown). I am wary about such a prison allowing 'radical' Islamists to flourish.
    ...according to not only one source that enjoyed the hospitality of Evin, the guards are scared to death of the crucial figure behind recruiting activity in question. So much so, nobody even knew his name. That character was eventually left to go - together with all of his newly-won followers.

I always say - indeed: I often insist on - 'connect/ing the dots'. Now, couple such reports with those like this one:http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Leb...Qaeda in Syria

......Iran is assisting key Al-Qaeda figures to transfer Sunni fighters into Syria, the Obama administration charged Thursday.

The accusation, detailed in new sanctions imposed by the U.S. Treasury department targeting Iranian terror links, indicates Iranian officials are backing opposing sides in the Syrian civil war.

Olimzhon Adkhamovich Sadikov, described by the Treasury Department as an Iran-based Islamic Jihad Union facilitator who “operates there with the knowledge of Iranian authorities,”...
    ...and I think everybody should get the picture.

Namely, while not directly related to each other, these two 'reports' are at least circumstantial evidence of Tehran at least ignoring the activities related to, if not outright co-working in, creation of the Daesh.

...and from that standpoint it's on hand that the super-wise pres - meanwhile renowned for completely ignoring every single advice - is all the time working into the hands of Khamenei, Vahid & clique:
    Obama Wrote Secret Letter to Iran’s Khamenei About Fighting Islamic State
    ...Presidential Correspondence With Ayatollah Stresses Shared U.S.-Iranian Interests in Combating Insurgents, Urges Progress on Nuclear Talks
    Sigh...
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 11-07-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fix link