Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
Outlaw,

What are 'borders'? Borders are (usually) mutually agreed upon territorial boundaries between different power centers. They are organized around geography, culture, population, or sometimes just convenience. But most importantly, in the Westphalian conception of the state, they are reinforced by strong normative values and the mechanisms through which such values are enforced (principally violence but occassionally diplomacy and other conflict resolution mechanisms). ISIS does not accept these principles since principles are propagated through the political system by the dominant power - and ISIS is in opposition to the dominant power. Here in the West we are generally dismissive of this fundamental difference and assert a legal or normative right that's only self-reinforcing and generally has no legitimacy among the opposition (otherwise, why would they be taking up arms if they were satisfied with the status quo?).

Borders will change. Sure. They are indicators of political organization but not the source of political power in themselves. The concern for me is that ISIS (1) has a globalized agenda, unlike the pre-2001 Taliban, and (2) it is centrally located in the most volatile region and further situated between the two dominant competitors in the Muslim world: Iran and Saudi Arabia. I expect to see this conflict as one to be fought to the death, at least as far as ISIS is concerned. It will be business as usual in Riyadh and Tehran.
I would argue that in fact ISIS is actually following the new Putin Doctrine since the Crimea---meaning regardless of treaties, agreements and memorandums---territorial boundaries can in fact be changed due to ethnicity, culture and language---ISIS just adds the word religion.

So provocatively---why is then Putin "allowed" to change Ukrainian boundaries based on ethnicity, culture and language- but then ISIS cannot change anything based then on religion?

They need the boundary changed to prove to the rest of the Islamic community that it can indeed be done--it is all about the narrative.