Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraq: Out of the desert into Mosul (closed)

In order of appearance...
    1. you have deep experience and can tell the difference between a Pred and and Reaper at say 3500 ft?
    Nope.

But then: I never said I can. On the contrary, I only want to know what kind of 'Assad AF UAVs' can you tell us are flown around ar-Raqqa?

Wherever I asked, there is no trace of anybody there - whether the SyAAF or the IRGC-QF - doing so. And, although you said this is the case, it seems you can't either.

That said, this doesn't mean that neither has UAVs. On the contrary, the IRGC-QF has deployed 'even' its Shahed-129s in Syria. It's just not flying them over ar-Raqqa.

2. why would Turkey be flying anything over Syria---not the northern Kurdish portion and northern Iraq--and since they supported IS then fly one at all?-explain that one to us
    This is actually two questions, so you'll get even two replies (and, since it seems you've got a major problem with understanding what I write, I'll draw it if necessary):

a, which is my answer to your second question) Turkey is not supporting the IS; and

b, which is my answer to your first question) because Turkey has a small garrison of about 20 troops protecting a memorial for Suleiman Shah. This is an area inside Syria, about one square kilometre of soil declared as Turkish.

The ISIS is threatening to overrun this place since early this year, and the THK is not only flying UAVs over this area, but its F-16s have destroyed several ISIS vehicles there. For details, see reports like this one: Turkey threatens retaliation if historic Syria tomb attacked.

3. and your Iranian "contacts" are willing to tell you 1) they do not own drones capable of this and or 2) did they not several months ago claim to a have reengineered the R180 and are flying it?--which is it?
    1.) Yup, they don't see any special problem about getting quite frank.
    2.) This is not something claimed by 'my' Iranian sources, but by specific talking-heads and wannabes in Tehran.

Sorry, I'm not of sensationalist sort, so you'll not find any corresponding article of mine.

4. your Assad AF contacts are what "willing to state on record they do not neither own drones nor use drones-what about the series the Russian recently supplied to them?---that is like claiming we the Assad AF do not drop "barrel bombs" or bomb civilian positions to you not think---so what is it?
    The latter is bull ####.

And regarding the former:
    a) They didn't say that, and
    b) I didn't ask them about that. But, again: they said they're not running any kind of UAV ops over ar-Raqqa.

EDIT
    ...just like at earlier times, they've provided transcriptions of original orders issued by the Ba'ath Party HQ in Damascus, for specific SyAAF units to strike civilian population in specific places.

So, now you can go on complaining they're admitting attacks on civilians, and whatever else, but are just as beasty as to refuse admitting the sensationalist idea of the SyAAF operating UAVs next to US ones over ar-Raqqa.

Works fine with me. ;P

Not wanting to rain on your parade of excellent "sources"---these photos were in fact posted to the blog sphere and roughly six individuals who look at such air identification phootos came to the same conclusion--- and in fact your claimed SU24 you hang on is in fact a Iranian drone and yes they fly them over Syria and currently Iraq as well if my "sources" are correct.
    You can attempt to belittle me as much as you like.

Simple fact is that you refuse to understand that you've babbled nonsense when stating 'Assad AF...UAVs' being run parallel to US (or whatever) UAV ops over ar-Raqqa.

Now, I'm following this war since more than three years and in all of that time I haven't heard about any kind of SyAAF UAV ops over ar-Raqqa. Thus, your commentary about 'Assad AF...UAVs' took me by surprise and I asked what is the basis for it. I've checked this, and there are no 'Assad AF...UAVs' where you said there are (obviously, basing your statement on that Twitter link).

Sorry if it turns that it's your own mistake that caused this misunderstanding, and that you're now attempting to act as if you didn't cause this.

Or are you telling us there are no Iranian "contractors" or militia or Quds fighting either in Syria and or Iraq?
    Come on - yourself. Where did I say anything of that kind?

BTW, when it comes to IRGC-QF, you're wrong again: it's neither 'contractors' nor 'militia'. It's regular IRGC-QF personnel. Most are from 8th Armoured Najaf Division, there is a battalion of IRGC's SFs too, and then quite a few others. Let me know if you would like to hear details. And if you're too shy to ask, wait for slightly over a month longer, then grab yourself a copy of Syrian Conflagration. Everything is nicely listed there.

CB---concerning Iranian drones not capable of the distance you claim they cannot do...
    Bull #### again. I nowhere said 'they're not capable'.

I said: not operated over that part of Syria.

---what keeps them from being launched inside Syria?
    Where did I say that?

And are these two Iranian long range UAVs simply non existent and the Iranians are what lying?
    Where did I say they're non-existent?

But since you asked: the Shahed Aerospace Shahed-129 is presently one of most successful Iranian UAV projects (together with the shorter-ranged Shahed-123, which is an even bigger success, with at least 274 pressed into service so far), that's sure. But, indeed, Jafari is lying about the UCAV capability of the Shahed-129: they were planned to get armament in form of Sadid missiles, but the company proved unable to realize this project - for lack of necessary technology.

And Karrar is (presently) just a PR-project.

CB--you need to learn to doubt your "sources" inside the SAF. They should have known this.
    You only need to learn to answer questions.

For example: what kind of evidence can you provide for your 'Assad AF...UAVs' being operated 'along' whatever other kind of UAVs over ar-Raqqa?

New screenshots coming from Syria give a better view of the Shahed 129 spotted over Damascus on Apr. 10.
    Did I ever say Shahed-129s were not deployed in Syria?

So, now, 'come on Outlaw': what kind of 'Assad AF UAVs' can you show us as operated over ar-Raqqa?

Anyway, I would like to express my gratitude to you in this place: experiences of this kind with you make me start to understand (and appreciate) the meaning of 'knowledge is power'.
    Last edited by CrowBat; 09-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Council Member

CB--then I would appreciate your answers to the following--if you are up to it?

No--but you did state did you not that Iranian drones did not have the range---come on my friend 1700kms is not enough?

Since you are so tight with your Syrian AF "sources"-why not answer for us the following--Syrian AF using chemical bombs--yes or no?

I can help you if you want to see the link before you answer--your answer will be interesting.

Now answer those questions my friend.

Council Member

For those that want to see what weapons are making it into the Syria opposition here is a whole series of videos from a YouTube link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/as3addaraa/videos

This link is for CB as well --so you CB can get more informed about the opposition as you are about Assad and the Iranians.

Council Member

CB--in your rant about your deep contacts to Iran and the Syria AF---you failed to respond did you not to my question---what can your provide to us from your Syrian AF or Iranian contacts about improvised chemical bombs being dropped on Syrian civilians?

Here is a link that is easy for you to read.

https://bellingcat.com/news/mena/201...ian-air-force/

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    CB--then I would appreciate your answers to the following--if you are up to it?
    I'm all your's, hon.

No--but you did state did you not that Iranian drones did not have the range---come on my friend 1700kms is not enough?
    You're either completely confused and mixing two different of my statements, or simply have immense problems of comprehending what you read.

I said:

a) contacts 'close' to SyAAF say they don't have any kind of UAVs that could reach the area, and

b) Iranian sources say they're not flying UAVs over ar-Raqqa.

That's implying anything else BUT what you manufactured out of my statements, namely that I should've said 'the IRGC didn't deploy UAVs to Syria' or 'Iranian UAVs in Syria lack the range to reach ar-Raqqa' etc.

Since you are so tight with your Syrian AF "sources"-why not answer for us the following--Syrian AF using chemical bombs--yes or no?
    Officially, it's SyAAF, standing for Syrian (and) Arab Air Force.

And yes, back in 2013 they did fly several attacks (think the total was about 7-8) with chemical weapons. Don't have any details for this year, because I was preoccupied with various publishing projects (including the one mentioned above), but I'll get back to this topic next year and then find out, don't worry.

This link is for CB as well --so you CB can get more informed about the opposition as you are about Assad and the Iranians.
    Thanks for all attention. I'm at least as well-informed about them as I am about any other party there.

Why do you ask: need any specific info?

CB--in your rant about your deep contacts to Iran and the Syria AF...
    Why 'rant'?

If at all, then 'bragging'.

Yup, I'm guilty of having my contacts 'there', in certain corners of the world, and that since ages - which should be no secret for anybody who might have read such publications like this one and/or this one.

You have my most humble apology, but one can't prepare such publications without proper research, and decent research works only with help of contacts.

---you failed to respond did you not to my question---what can your provide to us from your Syrian AF or Iranian contacts about improvised chemical bombs being dropped on Syrian civilians?
    No clue. Never asked them because there's ample evidence of this.

Did I make myself guilty of something now?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    I'm not aware of the specifics of what they're sending, but is it possible that there are still East German AK variants in storage?
    No they're sending German G35 Assault Rifles

Council Member

I just interviewed Governor Dulaimi of Anbar. We discussed talks with Baghdad and the security situation in his province. Here's a link.

Council Member

My latest piece on the Islamic State's systematic campaign to destroy the Yazidi community of Ninewa. Early August IS swept into Sinjar area of northern Ninewa. When entering towns would divide men from women and girls. Men were executed and women taken to several locations across province. Documentation of massacres in at least four villages. Other men have been taken prisoner. Some have been forced to convert to Islam. Women have been raped, forced to marry IS fighters, unconfirmed stories that some have been sold into slavery. No other group has gone through this experience under IS. Islamic State sees Yazidis as devil worshipers likely cause of treatment. Here's a link.

Council Member

ISIS has killed the top leaders of Ahrar a-Sham in a car bomb in #Idlib, including the movement's leader Abu...

http://fb.me/1mVoFt1IK

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JWing View Post
    My latest piece on the Islamic State's systematic campaign to destroy the Yazidi community of Ninewa. Early August IS swept into Sinjar area of northern Ninewa. When entering towns would divide men from women and girls. Men were executed and women taken to several locations across province. Documentation of massacres in at least four villages. Other men have been taken prisoner. Some have been forced to convert to Islam. Women have been raped, forced to marry IS fighters, unconfirmed stories that some have been sold into slavery. No other group has gone through this experience under IS. Islamic State sees Yazidis as devil worshipers likely cause of treatment. Here's a link.
    AQI attacked them as well in the period from 2005 thru 2008 via car bombs and targeted assassinations.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    ISIS has killed the top leaders of Ahrar a-Sham in a car bomb in #Idlib, including the movement's leader Abu...

http://fb.me/1mVoFt1IK
    The leader of the Ahrar ash-Sham was Hassan Aboud, and yes, it appears he was killed in this bombing.

Though, meanwhile, it's anything but sure this was an attack by the ISIS.

The meeting was held in an underground 'bunker'. AFAIK, it might be hard to kill anybody inside an underground facility with help of a car bomb.

On the contrary, there are reports that the bomb was planted inside that bunker before the meeting.

Rumours (and there are always plenty of these in Syria, no doubt) have it that the leadership of Ahrar ash-Sham met to decide whether to officially side with the revamped FSyA, in exchange for 'US support' (or whatever of this is provided), possibly in reaction to reports that the (official) Saudi support for insurgency is slackening. But, majority of insurgents in that group - and many other of Syrian insurgents - are meanwhile so fed up of Americans, that they opposed this and would have seen this as treachery.

Overall, this version sounds at least 'logic', and if it's true, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ahrar - or at least large parts of it - defecting from the IF and siding with the ISIS as next...

...and should that happen, it would be a major 'PR victory' for the ISIS.

Now, Ahrar is important as a relatively big, well-organized and -supplied organization of Syrian Salafists, that's sure. But, overall, it's not even 10% of the IF in total (and the IF totals something like 50% of all the insurgency).

Nevertheless, if even a chunk of the Ahrar would defect to it, the ISIS could claim it is including Syrians, and then Syrian Salafists too - which so far was simply not the case (Syrian Salafists and Wahhabists of all sorts, but especially such idiots like the ISIS are at odds with each other).

In total, this might be another tragic consequence of absurd and sadistic US policy towards Syrian insurgency...

(BTW, this is actually all Syria-related, i.e. going off topic in regards of Iraq.)
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 09-09-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Copied to the Syria thread

Council Member

Iran contributed 200 vehicles, 700 fighters which was a mix of regular Iranian army and volunteers and 24 military advisers to help peshmerga and militias relieve town of Amerli in Salahaddin earlier this month says Niqash.

Council Member

BreakingNews Syrian rebels take one of the last #Assad regime bases in northern #Quneitra.

Heavy use by the rebels of TOWs against Assad tanks and hit even an MI8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhKMCVwIvA

Syrian rebels control Kufer Shamis, linking #Quneitra and #Daraa provinces.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIjzq9lWf4

TOWs in use.
    #TOW vs. #Assad in #Quneitra. Same hill base.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaGl

Syrian rebel #TOW vs. #Assad regime position in #Quneitra.
    Another one bites the dust.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27uJvrenjs

#TOW vs. #Assad in #Quneitra.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBj7Lzv-DSo
    #Syria

Syrian rebels destroy another two #Assad regime tanks in #Quneitra province.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzgxCwJVYa4
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-10-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Council Member

Falaq-2 based IRAM in Iraq

September 10, 2014 By ARES

http://www.armamentresearch.com/fala...-iram-in-iraq/

By Michael Smallwood. Header image displays a Falaq-2 type launcher in a two-tube configuration mounted on the rear of a pickup truck.

Photos emerging from Iraq purport to show members of the Islamist militant group Asa’ib Ahl al-Haq (AAH) in possession of 333 mm Falaq-2 artillery rockets and improvised launchers. In the photo below, a substantially larger payload has been affixed to the forward portion of the rocket, in what is known as an ‘improvised rocket-assisted mortar’ (IRAM) – more accurately described as an improvised rocket-assisted munition. It is unclear whether this replaces or is in addition to the standard 117 kg high-explosive (HE) warhead that the Falaq-2 possesses. The maximum range of the Falaq-2 is 10.8 km, though this is sure to be reduced dramatically by the addition of such a large improvised warhead.

It is unclear how many such IRAMs have been produced based around the Falaq-2 in Iraq. The Falaq-1 and Falaq-2 systems have been documented in use in Syria previously, and it is likely to be from here that systems seen in Iraq have originated. For a comprehensive background on the Falaq-1 and Falaq-2 system, and the use of IRAMs with these systems, you can read ARES Research Report No. 2: Iranian Falaq-1 and Falaq-2 Rockets in Syria.

Council Member

My latest security report for 1st week of Sep in Iraq. Attacks have been declining since August but casualties remain high mostly because IS carrying out mass executions in northern Iraq in areas under its control. Here's a link.

Council Member

Interesting that the Russian BM30 ends up in the Assad Army.

Jury's out: Seems like a BM-30 Smerch launcher rocket. Here's one from Syria via @Brown_Moses (thx @rConflictNews)

pic.twitter.com/ScFeyBi1Nz

Council Member

Default Why Reasoning with ISIS is a Useless Concept

Why Reasoning with ISIS is a Useless Concept

Entry Excerpt:

--------
    Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
    This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.

Council Member

Default Defeating ISIS and Their Complex Way of War

Defeating ISIS and Their Complex Way of War

Entry Excerpt:

--------
    Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
    This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.

Council Member

My latest article on how IS has been able to rebuild its manpower after its nadir in 2011. At that time the CIA estimated that it only had 1,000 fighters left in Iraq. Now CIA says 20,000-31,000. Others say 50,000 or more. Read more about how its been able to increase its resources and draw in more recruits here.

Council Member

#Breaking #Exclusive pic. of Arkan-1 rocket used by #Katiba_Sayad_Al_Shohahda, #ISF auxiliary force. Loc : Basora pic.twitter.com/xgNW3cpCz9

More Iranian involvement: