Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraq: Out of the desert into Mosul (closed)

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    In Jomini's book, "The Art of War" he addresses this in the section in article VII of his book, titled "War of Opinion."

Jomini thinks along the line of Bob's World, when he states ,

He then accused the crusaders of thinking more of expanding trade than spreading Christianity.

Final quote

Regardless, we have a security problem on our hands that is expanding. It is unlikely we will be able to address the root political, social, and economic causes of which I'm sure there are many, so our focus IMO is reducing the threat through military action in ways that mitigate further agitating the underlying phenomena that motivates this behavior. No one said it would be easy, but ignoring the problem because we can't address root causes in my view is a dangerous cop out.
    Bill---you are now starting to see what I comment often about the Iraqi Sunni side--meaning when one fully understands what one is truly seeing then and only then can one move forward---we the US military never did fully understand what we were seeing.

jcurtis's comments are great---why because he fully saw the impact of the video--that is what they want--this group under Baghdadi is far more troubling because he is a thinking adapting and intelligent Amir--spiritual leader, a solid field commander and a great tactician.

That is why I keep going back and asking---what did we miss in Abu G and Bucca---it was there in 2005-2009 to see why did we the IC not see it and still do not see it?

It is also why I warned here to not start a bombing campaign as it would and has caused exactly what I anticipated would happen---they are far different than AQ---they can and will strike Americans--as single targets as that is the COG for the US=--not attacks on the homeland not attacks on towers--but a steady attack against Americans walking do the streets of Helsinki, Berlin, Hong Kong---literally anywhere in the world and no amount of CIA/DIA/NSA/DHS can hinder that. We are so easy to read thus the taking of US hostages long before they crossed the border into Iraq.

Had we not bombed the American would still be alive it is as simple as that as brutal as it sounds---AND now there is talk about more combat personnel into Iraq. And we as the US cannot get a straight policy on a far deeper threat---the new Russia/China which impacts us over the longer haul more so than Baghdadi ever will.

This we the US have not seen before in this "supposedly" GWOT.

There will be no defeating them---it is a long haul now and they are getting better and better at governing--the missing piece.

The former Iraq now is a true satellite of the Iranians and to a degree occupied by the Iranians which is what Baghdadi wanted in the first place--this is his Sunni Shia clash and notice the KSA outside of protecting their borders from returning fighters and hardening the internal security has not uttered a single comment against the Caliphate outside of the first series of comments.

KSA silence is an indicator.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 08-21-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWing View Post
    Yesterday I wrote about the Shiite militia mobilization in Iraq in response to the insurgency, most of which is being directed by Iran. Today I go into the Iranian mobilization which has included advisers, weapons deliveries, bringing in Lebanese Hezbollah advisers, and involves running some of the security portfolio for Baghdad. Here's a link.
    I like your excellent articles on developments in Iraq, and found most of them near flawless so far. But, in this case I feel kind of prompted to offer some commentary - as a co-source of Aviationist, and in certain other relations too.

1.) Tehran was not caught 'off guard' by the fall of Mosul and related developments in Iraq: it was caught while unable to respond. Reasons were multiple, but primarily related to:
    - a) preoccupation with Syria, which necessitated immense spending ('rumour' if you like, has it that they were delivering at least US$1 billion in cash to Damascus, every single month since November 2011, plus about US$ 500 million in fuel), and

- b) which, in combination with the latest round of sanctions against Tehran, caused a de-facto bankruptcy of the regime and the IRGC.

The latter is a little known fact, primarily because the internet (and especially the blogosphere) is meanwhile full of supposed Iranian 'security experts' that are feeding it with fake and constructed information and messages creating an image of 'undefeatable' Iran, that is trouble-free and flush with cash. That's why one can read messages like, 'for us it's not about money, but about not abandoning our friends, we're not the USA' (in relation to Syria); or 'our defence sector is flourishing because we're flush with money', and then especially something else that I'm going to mention below.

Actually, for Tehran the spread of the ISIS through eastern Syria and north-western Iraq couldn't have come at a better moment. It directly resulted in a situation where the IRGC was saved by Iraqi money (lent by China).

That all aside... well, simply imagine international reaction in the case Tehran would have had the money and launched a pre-emptive military intervention against the ISIS inside Iraq (which would have been perfectly along its declared doctrine of national defence)...

But, it couldn't, because it didn't have the money, nor the necessary influence and support (whether inside or outside Iraq).

2.) IRGC-QF C-in-C Soleimani... Since he took over as C-in-C of the IRGC-QF's battlefield HQ in Syria, back in mid-2013, and especially since that famous Filkins' article about him for NYT, Soleimani is a kind of star in the Western media. Actually, that's precisely the picture the IRGC wanted to be created about him. Then, in reality he is neither the mastermind, nor as influential or crucial for all the developments with which he's usually connected. Soleimani is warrior, an intelligent, combat-proven commander and officer, no doubt about all of this. But, his primary duty is that of an executor: foremost, he can't farth without permission from Vahid. So, it's not his ideas he's realizing, but those from Khamenei and the clique surrounding him. And neither that clique, nor Soleimani, are as omni-present or as overpowering as usually described. Difference to earlier times (especially those of the Iran-Iraq War) is that his/their actions are usually aiming at much more realistic aims, precisely because that clique now knows to appreciate opinions of such like Soleimani (i.e. because the IRGC now has its own, combat-proven warriors, and is listening to them). Translation: this means you'll not see the IRGC-QF launching operations like Valfajr or Kerbala, aiming to deploy 100,000 Basiji to assault Basra and similar aims. It's working in entirely different fashion nowadays.

3.) I'm getting sick and tired of everybody explaining 'these Sukhois were actually Iraqi': this is simply not truth.

Yes, in 1991, Iraq, in accordance with an agreement between Baghdad and Tehran from August 1990, flew 130+ of its planes to Iran (colloquial 'knowledge' is 124, but I've got a full list of serials from an ex-Brig Gen of the Iraqi Air Force Intel Dept.M; large excerpts from that list - as far as related to specific combat aircraft formerly in service with the IrAF - can be found in the book Iraqi Fighters, authored by Brig Gen Ahmad Sadik and your very own). But, Tehran has officially declared these planes (that is: those that landed safely in Iran, minus few that were shot down or crashed while underway, and minus a few that officially never reached Iran) as impounded and its ownership, in the name of reparations for Iraqi invasion of 1980 - which is a perfectly legal claim, considering that even the USA have acknowledged that Baghdad was responsible for its own aggression. Therefore, these planes are Iranian and no sugarcoating of this is going to change that fact ever.
    Accept it, live with it, finally.

4.) Not all of the Su-25s sent by the IRGCASF (IRGC Air & Space Force) are ex-Iraqi. On the contrary, over the time the IRGC has taken every single Su-25 airframe it could put its hands upon. It's a long story (actually, I could discuss the history of every single airframe, should that be necessary), so sufficient to say that only some 3-4 of these seven sent to Iraq are indeed 'ex-Iraqi'.

Whatever: this is a reason more why I would strongly recommend anybody trying to say something of that kind to strictly avoid babbling that these planes were 'actually Iraqi'.

5.) That is: they were Iranian...erm... possession of the IRGCASF - until they were flown to Iraq. And the reason they were flown to Iraq was Iraqi money, plus Russian promises about delivery of additional high-tech weaponry (all paid for by Baghdad) to the IRGC (officially: the IRGC in Iraq; unofficially... well, who can prevent the IRGC taking that weaponry wherever it wants, once it's in Iraq). So, de-facto, the IRGCASF has sold its Su-25s to Iraq - in exchange for a) cash, b) official permission for its presence in Iraq, c) immense Iraqi orders of arms and ammo from the Iranian defence sector, and d) Iraqi orders/payments for Russian arms for the IRGC.

6.) Yes, it's Iranians only that are flying Su-25s in Iraq. Indeed, although the IQAF has few officers that used to fly Su-25s back in the late 1980s, that's a far cry from what's necessary. On the contrary, the IRGCASF and supporting industry have a relatively well-developed support infra-structure for the type at home (good enough to run regular overhauls and even do some upgrades too). Iranians are maintaining and flying even Su-25s recently delivered by Russia too - which, BTW, was another PR-coup: the planes arrived in Iraq in very poor condition, with only a bare minimum of maintenance necessary to make them operational again. Actually, it's the Iranian personnel that has to make them operational...

...though which is possible thanks to Iraqi financing of this IRGC-QF deployment.

7.) Meanwhile, it's not only the IRGC-QF that's deployed inside Iraq, but the regular Iranian military too. Check with US and British SF operators that were in Sinjar who was the actual 'first' there.

8.) Meanwhile #2: and Iranians are happily delivering plane-loads of their arms and ammo to Kurds in Erbil too - 'happily', because 'somebody's' tax-payers are paying for these too. Congrats Obama and Bibi.

Overall, the crisis in Iraq caught the Iranians (and especially Khamenei and the IRGC) unprepared, but it couldn't come at a better moment and they're exploiting it in best possible fashion - although in different ways than usually described.
    Last edited by CrowBat; 08-21-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Default Iraq: Cameron's Contradictions

It is time for a root-and-branch review of the principles of British foreign policy, so that they reflect two essential things: the world as it is and not as we would wish it to be; and the British national interest. Or, to put it another way, don't do nation-building and don't intervene in other people's civil wars - we usually make things worse, as in Iraq, and the waste of blood and treasure is unforgivable.

If this means hobnobbing with dictators, so be it. Only genocide and threats to world order merit military intervention, as with IS. For the rest, nations must be allowed to find their own destinies. After all it took Britain 713 years after Magna Carta, undisturbed by foreign invasion, to give women the vote.
    Link:http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sir-...84.html?&ir=UK

The author is a retired UK diplomat and I cite his last two paragraphs.
    davidbfpo

Default How does ISIS fight? Some infographics

A previously unheard of website, so maybe some caution. Their explanation for the data presented:
    Vocativ has discovered, collated and tabulated the available data from monthly reports posted in various online forums affiliated with ISIS. The reports detail every ISIS attack in chronological order (see embed below). The ISIS reports were published by what the organization calls its “media ministry.” These reports were provided only in Arabic, which suggests ISIS wasn’t targeting them for Western exposure, but rather to spread news of its achievements throughout the Arabic-speaking world to would-be recruits and supporters. It should also be noted that, as ISIS generated the reports, not all details can be corroborated. Regardless, the organization’s data provides a detailed picture of how ISIS views itself and what its shifting priorities are in the battlefield.
    Link:http://www.vocativ.com/world/iraq-wo...ge=all#!bHpDun
    davidbfpo

Council Member

I just published an interview with RAND's Ali Nader on what Iran's policy towards Iraq is. I just talked about how Iran is mobilizing its militia allies, and flying in weapons and advisers, in the interview I tried to find out what Tehran's overall goals are in Iraq. Here's a link.

Default Why ISIS Is So Terrifyingly Effective at Seducing New Recruits

A short, detailed article based on an interview of Professor John Horgan, a British psychologist now @ UMass-Lowell:http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/08...-recruits.html

A key point:
    They’re offering an opportunity for people to feel powerful. They’re making disillusioned, disaffected radicals feel like they’re doing something truly meaningful with their lives.
    Are we and others ready for this?
    Disillusionment is very, very common in every single terrorist and extremist group you can think of. That’s something that can be very toxic if those accounts get out and gather momentum.

Disillusionment is the most common reason why people voluntarily choose to walk away from a terrorist group. People become disillusioned if they feel that the group has gone too far, if they don’t seem to have a strategy beyond indiscriminate killing. Disillusionment can arise from disagreements with a leader, it can arise from dissatisfaction with the day-to-day minutiae. There are many directions from which disillusionment can arise, and it’s only a matter of time before those accounts leak out from ISIS, and I think we would do very well to be on the lookout for those kinds of accounts, because they offer an opportunity to dissuade further potential recruits from being involved.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Has anyone seen and or read a coherent explanation of what the current US strategy is for both Iraq and Syria needless to say the IS outside bombing, sending SOF as advisors, sending aid/weapons to the Kurds, calling for an "inclusive" government which is to late, and calling for a summit of the five UNSC members on terrorism in DC?

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    Has anyone seen and or read a coherent explanation of what the current US strategy is for both Iraq and Syria
    It looks to me something like "do enough to look involved, not enough to be committed".

This is not ideal, but given that the US is not in a position to dictate outcomes, I'm not sure what the better options are.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Default How Isis came to be

A short article from The Guardian, best explained by the writer's bio:
    Ali Khedery is chairman and chief executive of Dragoman Partners, a strategic consultancy. He served as special assistant to five American ambassadors in Iraq and as senior adviser to three heads of US Central Command from 2003-10. He was the longest continuously serving American official in Iraq.
    He ends with:
    As world leaders now consider a military campaign to confront Isis, they should remember the lessons of America's costly and largely fruitless engagements in Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam. They should understand that no amount of foreign military power can ever make up for the misrule of corrupt, failed governments like those in Damascus, Baghdad, Kabul or Saigon. Unless they want a regional holy war, leaders should especially discount the advice of some who are now calling for an alliance with Assad's genocidal regime – perhaps the single greatest root cause of Isis's rise.

Instead, they should embrace the lessons of Iraq's Sunni tribal awakening, that only Syrian and Iraqi Sunnis can defeat radical militant Sunni entities like Isis. Likewise, they should understand that only the mullahs in Tehran can help quell radical militant Shia entities like Lebanon's Hezbollah, Assad's intelligence operatives or Iraq's militias.

Link:http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...had?CMP=twt_gu
    davidbfpo

Council Member

For those who want to see how the IS drives the internet and social media to support the Salafists.

https://twitter.com/Dawla_NewsMedia?...71264835346432

I have been saying here we have to understand the IS battlefield tactics as that has greatly changed since AQI days.

Now look at these series of IS drone video photo coverage of ISF bases---they have really upped their recon/surveillance capabilities.

The #Islamic_State have been using drones to carry out mission planning and raids into enemy bases (Pic: Base 93):
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 08-23-2014 at 06:36 PM.

...and meanwhile, Kurdish officials are confirming presence of regular Iranian Army troops on Iraqi soil; while - and unsurprisingly - Tehran swiftly denied this: Iran 'sent soldiers to fight in Iraq'
    ...Hundreds of soldiers crossed the border on Friday in a joint operation with Kurdish Peshmerga forces to take back Jalawla in Diyala province, an official Kurdish source who asked not to be identified told Al Jazeera.

He said the Iranian forces retreated back across the border early on Saturday.
    Iranian denial

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham dismissed the reports of any Iranian military presence in Iraq.

According to the official IRNA news agency, she said Tehran "has a close watch on field developments in Iraq sensitively with regards to mutual cooperation and international commitments and takes into consideration cooperation with the Iraqi government".

Jalawla, fewer than 30km from the Iranian border, is a strategic point for both Iraq and Iran.

"Previously there had been Iranian assistance with security advisers and Iranian backed militias, but this does seem to the the first time soldiers have been involved," Al Jazeera's Jane Arraf reported from Erbil, capital of the autonomous Kurdish region.

Kurdish officials said their forces had surrounded Jalawla but have so far been unable to advance because of roadside bombs placed by Islamic State fighters.
    'Translation': about 400 Takavar from the 23rd Commando Division (Iranian Army commandos, originally established and trained with extensive help from the Green Berets, back in the 1960s) deployed to Erbil together with at least 25 tons of arms and ammo (all made by the DIO) for Kurds.

If one wonders why the IRIA Takavaran and not 'another' of 'IRGC-QF's outlets': the Army is traditionally maintaining better links with Kurds than the IRGC can dream about.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-24-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Council Member

The Independent @Independent

A crowdfunded site may have just exposed Isis using Google Maps http://bit.ly/1qCJctb

Moderator adds: This website is partly founded by "Brown Moses", an open source SME and documented on a thread 'OSINT: "Brown Moses" better than the UN on Syria':http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=19471
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-24-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Mods note

Council Member

Russian version of the IS complete with Allahu Akbar.

Ukrainian Updates ‏@Ukroblogger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9sDjspghOw … #Ilovaisk, #Ukraine:'Allahu akbar!'(2:33,5:23) #Putin's ver of #ISIS makes its presence known

pic.twitter.com/6T50RJm01c
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 08-24-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Council Member

Can anyone here that comments explain to me that after 9/11 and literally billions spent on the intel community, billions spent in new ISR sensors/aircraft/satellites, billions spent on defense contractors to monitor all of that ISR and the expansion of thousands of defense contractors and civil service intel analysts and not counting the billions spent on the NSA ----we still are not able to do exactly----what?

That was the excuse for the delays in Desert Storm in Kuwait as we only had two intel analysts on the Iraqi desk ---but now--come on there has got to be a better reason for the misspending of literally billions of dollars.

Washington Post from today:
    It could take months to build “necessary intelligence architecture” to expand the air campaign already targeting the Islamic State in Iraq, officials say.

We see the same thing in the Ukraine--NATO/US announces Russian artillery and troops are inside the Ukraine--Moscow says no they are not prove it and the US/NATO goes silent---does anyone have an explanation for the apparent true lack of US/NATO intelligence capabilities--or do western leaders just like to hear themselves talk to the media?

Maybe the WH should hire the bellingcat blog site and use open source bloggers --they seem to be at any given moment in time to be better informed than the WH and the entire CIA/DIA/NSA/DHS.

But again maybe they are just trying to lull the IS into believing they have more than enough time to prepared in advance for what is coming---who knows?.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 08-24-2014 at 01:15 PM.

The collectors, analysts, targeteers are doing exactly what needs to be done, considering a far broader set of constraints that they face. Those constraints are not the fault of the IC.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    The collectors, analysts, targeteers are doing exactly what needs to be done, considering a far broader set of constraints that they face. Those constraints are not the fault of the IC.

Interesting comment as the above comment concerning Desert Storm was in fact true---two on the desk and no databases to speak of thus the four month delay in targeting which was used to position the troops. All additional analysts had to be first found and then assigned thus no existing databases to speak of even existed.

When I read the same comment 24 years later and I know the depth of the current IC to include the defense contracting side-then the comment is correct regardless of anything else--yes everyone is doing their bit all in the so called targeting cycle --then if in fact the constraints are the political side then it needs to be said--there is an old statement---truth to power which the IC and military leadership tends to forget except for this interview by the JCoS which is blunt and to the point.

The JCoS comments from 21.8.2014 are in fact far more correct than the general public is being led to believe about the IS and I am not sure the public is ready again for an open ended war in Iraq and or Syria for another ten years because that is what it will take since we blew it the first time.

I go back to what I have said a number of times here since Iraq---we never understood what we were seeing and what did we the IC miss with al Baghdadi at Abu G and Bucca? Believe me we missed something and it was there if we had looked hard enough--but then again Abu G and Bucca were driven by numbers--number of detainees talked to per shift down to number of reports per shift per week.

We had young Army/AF/Navy trained interrogators that knew virtually nothing about insurgencies, insurgent tactics down to the use of one time pads and or understood the inherent AQI/IAI, 1920 and ASA organizational structures, or even anything about the Sunni Shia clash--- who struggled using quality interpreters, and simply were going through the motions with little or no support from national in order to get through their year or in the case of the AF/Navy their six months.

Virtually no support came from national--I let the leader of the IAI walk out of Abu G simply because five RFIs went unanswered regardless of follow ups and no biometric support which was asked for --never got responded to. With no evidence no charge, with no charge then parked for 4-12 months and then released out. He was out in three months.

We completely missed a phase two guerrilla war being fought by the Salafists and that included AQI from the mid 90s onward inside Iraq and we the IC never knew that fine point. So I am sorry if I take the IC to task--they blew it.

Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey at a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, August 21, 2014.

“This is an organization that has an apocalyptic end-of-days strategic vision that will eventually have to be defeated,” General Martin E. Dempsey, U.S. chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on Thursday.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, America's top military officer, told a press briefing this week that the mere existence of ISIS is clearly a problem that had to be addressed.

The question now is how.

Demspey noted that destroying ISIS will require " the application of all of the tools of [U.S.] national power — diplomatic, economic, information, military."

In fact, as counterterrorism expert Brian Fishman explained, truly defeating ISIS would require full-scale war that would involve fighting in both Iraq and Syria.

"Can they be defeated without addressing that part of the organization that resides in Syria? The answer is no," Dempsey told reporters at the Pentagon.

That is where the real challenge lies for the Obama administration, which decided years ago that the U.S. was not going to “get in the middle of somebody else’s civil war.” ISIS has effectively blurred the border between Iraq and Syria, using the eastern Syrian city of Raqqa as a de facto capital while extending the terror group's reach in Iraq.

"The notion that the Iraq war can be separated from the Syrian civil war is pure fantasy," Shadi Hamid, an expert on Islamist groups at the Brookings Institution, told McClatchy. "This is what’s so worrying about the Obama administration’s approach. There is no plan. There is no vision on that front. There is no effort to talk about Syria in a different way."

A senior U.S. defense official also told McClatchy that there "is no policy" to confront ISIS in Syria.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 08-24-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Council Member

Rabat-ISIS beheads group of its top #Intelligence leaders incl Moroccan Ubaida Almaghribi for sharing intel online:https://twitter.com/2kdei/status/503...145729/photo/1
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Council Member

Just published my latest security report for Iraq for the 3rd week of August. Continued two week trend of drop in attacks, casualties actually dropped this time as well as fighting settled into a rough stalemate across Iraq for the week. Charts, figures on security incidents, car bombs, etc. across Iraq. Was a dip in car bombs in Baghdad which explains today's wave of attacks as a new by IS starts. Here's a link.

Council Member

The UK blogger bellingcat who identified the IS training camp in Mosul via open source materials as well as working the open source location ID for the US journalist killing has been hit by a massive DDoS attack all day---this is interesting for two reasons 1) the IS did not believe open source could be so effective and 2) his work was also used in the MH17 open source materials.

So he has two groups angry at him that has the IT abilities of a DDoS---the IS and the FSB.

bellingcat @bellingcat

Bellingcat is still being DDoS'd by *someone*, if you don't know what a DDoS attack you can learn more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Default A map and then the Shia militia explain

Keeping up with the mapping of this conflict:

Note the cited article is about the Shia militia fighters on the frontline, so maybe of interest:http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...hters-war-isis
    davidbfpo