Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian COIN (consolidated thread, inc original RLI)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

T.A.L.,

Welcome, and kudos on keeping that outstanding site up. You may vaguely remember, but you gave me a very good hook-up in the way of the RSF COIN manual.

I've been giving that Croukamp book a look, but haven't gotten around to picking it up. I'm currently reading Assignment Selous Scouts, plus a ton of unrelated works so that may have to wait.

Default Coin

If you get the time and have to pick from the two, do read “Crouks” first. I enjoyed reading “Assignment” but It got unfavorable remarks from the S. Scouts Association. I really enjoyed the perspective gave on pseudo ops, but I personally did not agree on some of his political points made in the book, but again I was not their and only know what I have read else were. Overall I give the book 4 out of five stars. Just my .02 cents! And I do recall the COIN Manual that was a little while ago. I hope it helped out. I have four different Rhodesian COIN manuals and I am currently editing all four together with various added comments and references, and to as well show how some of the doctrine changed as new versions became available.

Hmm..PM sent sir.

Default Rli

Howzit

FYI there were some photographs taken at the RLI book launch held recently in London. We kept up the fine tradition of getting absolutely planked after the event, understandable I guess when you meet with friends again some 27 years plus after the fact. Nevertheless it proved to be a superb evening all in all, with the Scots Guards band in attendance and in fine order.

Jon I believe you may recognise a friend of yours.

http://www.therli.com/A_Events_Booklaunch.asp

I`m not wishing (or needing) to promote sales etc, but the book "The Saints" and the DVD that comes with it are frankly superb (I can say that with a smug grin as I`m in the latter somewhere). If you happen to be interested in our particular bun-fight then these might fill in a few blanks.

Cheers
    I.R.

What is the going price in $US for a copy, if any, and are there going to be any US distributors as far as anyone can tell?

It would truly round out my collection to get this new book, and I hope to not have to pay Egay prices after only a month from the release date!

And in the photos...is that tall gentleman on the platform whom I think he is?

Default The Saints

Jon

I`m not sure which fellow you are referring to, but the ex-officer on the platform giving the salute is the last C.O. of the RLI, Lt Col. Charlie Aust.

I believe the book, which includes the DVD, would cost about US$95-00 excluding post and packaging. I`m not aware at the moment of any agents selling it in the US.

The advertising spiel is as follows:

Book Description

The Saints is a glossy, coffee-table, pictorial format book of the history
    of the Rhodesian Light Infantry. Often underrated, but arguably one of the
    most effective counter-insurgency units of all time, the RLI brought the
    `Fireforce' concept to the world's attention--a devastatingly ruthless
    airborne tactic. The RLI was a veritable `foreign legion' with over 20
    nationalities represented. They fought the bitter Zimbabwean `bush war' for 15 years and RLI soldiers were recipients of four Silver Crosses and 42
    Bronze Crosses of Rhodesia. An RLI trooper holds the world record for
    operational parachute descents - a staggering 73 op jumps - most under 500 feet. The Saints contains hundreds of colour photos, maps, rolls of honour, honours and awards. It includes a host of previously unpublished material and many former RLI members contributed photos, memorabilia and anecdotes to the project. Also included is a DVD containing previously unseen combat footage.

Synopsis
    At last! This is the history of the Rhodesian Light Infantry. We've seen the stories of the more 'glamourous' Selous Scouts, the SAS and the Rhodesian Air Force, but very little about the RLI, often underrated, but arguably one of the most effective counter-insurgency units of all time. This was the unit that brought the 'Fireforce' concept to the world's attention - the devastatingly ruthless airborne envelopment and annihilation of a guerrilla enemy. The RLI was a veritable 'foreign legion' with over 20 diverse nationalities serving in her ranks. It is a glossy coffee-table, pictorial format with hundreds of colour photos, maps, rolls, honours and awards. It is not intended as a definitive history but, with more of a classic 'scrapbook' feel, the presentation attempts to capture the essence of this fine unit - what it was like to be a troopie. We have accessed a host of unique, previously unpublished photos and illustrative material and many former RLI members have embraced the project, generously contributing photos, memorabilia and anecdotes. Ian Smith has written his tribute in the front and the foreword is by the last CO, Lieutenant-Colonel Charlie Aust.

You can order online via website www.30degreessouth.co.za
    Full colour, hard cover, coffee-table format544 pages, with over 1,500 photos and maps Price: ZAR 695.00 (approx US$95.00 or £50.00) + shipping

I.R.

I checked up on my Amazon.co.uk order for The Saints, and was disappointed to see that the ship date had changed from a end of July suspense, to the first freaking week of January 2008.

Question for Alex Binda, did the initial printing sell completely out already?

Default The Saints

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I checked up on my Amazon.co.uk order for The Saints, and was disappointed to see that the ship date had changed from a end of July suspense, to the first freaking week of January 2008.

Dear Major Custis. This is news to me! I know the New Zealand consignment of 500 sold out immediately & Hugh Bomford had to order more. I assume from your news that the UK supply has also sold out! Will check with Chris Cocks. I think the initial print run was a small 2500 ...so somewhat of a collectors item (I predicted this...!) Cheers. Alex. PS It has received a good review in SOLDIER (Brit Army Mag)

Professor Woods' website has three detailed graphics that explain how the Fire Force concept developed, as well as an excellent artcle on D coy, RAR, that I had not come across before.

http://www.jrtwood.com/default.asp

Enjoy.

Default Rhodesian COIN at the strategic level

In the UK published journal Small Wars & Insurgencies, June 2007, is an article 'The Wretched of the Empire: Politics, Ideology and COIN in Rhodesia 1965-80'. The author Dr Mike Evans lived in Rhodesia / Zimbabwe until the early 1980's and now works for the Australian Defence Forces.

Worth a read for the context of the Rhodesian military experience and the political factors involved.

davidbfpo

Council Member
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

That is definitely a good update.

Hi. Its me again. Just checked Amazon. They are offering one copy at £55.
    Please also note (& warn members?) there is an unscrupulous individual who has a web advertising Rhodesiana Nostalgia. It begins with the word M...anyway what this person is doing is buying copies of "The Saints" from the publisher, removing the DVD and substituting a crappy one of his own (he is backed by good technology apparently) then selling both separately.The book for £79 and the DVD for god knows what. Alex

Oh, I know that bugger all too well Alex. I ordered a book through that set-up and received a damn Rugby Shirt. When I contacted him to get things sorted out, he asked me to work it out with the fellow who had received the book (The Rain Goddess - Stiff), but that other fellow wanted to keep the book. I got my money back, but only after considerable shuffling on their part. And then when I gave him a negative feedback on Egay for advertising Baddcock's Images of War as being Rhodesian in nature, I was made persona non grata for future auctions. Caveat emptor and all that I suppose.

I can understand delays, but if amazon tells me that I cannot receive a brand new book for another 6 months...I begin to worry.

Default Soldier

Howzit Alex and Chris

A lekker job on the book ouens, made me very proud, thank you to all for your hard graft, and the chiboolies etc at the book signing! (Ag man what a babbelaas!) Jon, apparently not all the Crocs live in the Zambezi!

Alex is probably a little modest, but the review is worth inclusion (I know, I`m biased, but I dont care ):

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/rev...ks.htm#feature

Alexandre Binda, compiled and edited by Chris Cocks (30º South Publishers, 544pp, £50).
    Review: John Elliott

HISTORY, declares former Rhodesian premier Ian Douglas Smith, will show that the battle for his country was not a war against a “liberation army” but against terrorists who threatened a bastion of Christian civilisation in a lonely African outpost.

“From the beginning of hostilities to the end, the panache and fighting spirit of the Rhodesians was epitomised by the officers and men of the Rhodesian Light Infantry (RLI), who fought throughout with courage, fortitude and reckless disregard for their own welfare,” writes Mr Smith in a tribute published on the first page of this picture-rich, glossy, coffee-table publication.

Here your reviewer must declare an interest. As a 20-year-old in the late 1960s he completed a year of National Service in the Rhodesian Army, beginning with several weeks of old-fashioned basic training straight out of the British Army manual, delivered in the main by RLI regulars whose accents revealed their formative years were as likely to have been spent in London or Liverpool as Southern Africa.

To us part-timers, the troopers of the RLI were the real deal: tough, resourceful, confident, up for it, within our borders or without, a self-contained, scary band of hell-raisers who fought hard, played harder and spoke an incomprehensible, slang-filled patois. To the white citizens of Bulawayo and Salisbury they were heroes, although many would have taken their nickname – The Saints – with a large dose of salts.

Arguably one of the most effective counter-insurgency units of all time, the RLI developed the “Fireforce” concept of ruthless airborne envelopment and annihilation of the guerrilla enemy. A superb fighting unit, they won every battle but lost the war.

Their last commanding officer, Lt Col Charlie Aust, now living in the UK, is unequivocal about the RLI’s legacy. “Tutored under the auspices of the British Commonwealth, the unit grew and matured in peace and war to become one of the finest regiments of a small and determined army, which itself became the most efficient and successful irregular warfare machine ever known in Africa or indeed, perhaps the world” is how he puts it in a foreword to the book.

Built on a foundation of Rhodesians, the ranks of the RLI were augmented by soldiers from the armies of many nations, not least that of the United Kingdom. Ironically, that tradition operates today in reverse, with hundreds of Zimbabweans currently in the uniform of the British Army.

Binda, who served for 15 of the 19 years (1961-1980) that the regiment existed, has woven together a mass of personal and operational detail, maps, sketches and photographs compiled by Chris Cocks, who saw action with 3 Commando, 1 RLI.

Insertions by helicopter and parachute (from ever-reliable Second World War-vintage Dakotas) were followed by hard, aggressive action on the ground. At the height of the war troopers were jumping two or three times a day into contact zones. One racked up 79 operational drops.

An American NCO in 3 Cdo reckoned soldiers on Fireforce missions – operations deep into the bush – required two qualities: a healthy instinct for survival and a lot of luck. Another believed what was needed was aggression, a high standard of sharp-shooting and initiative. “Slow or hesitant reactions and poor shooting,” he said, “wasted the effort of everyone involved in putting sticks on the ground.”

This, writes Ian Smith, was a regiment that “filled Rhodesians with pride”. Binda’s book tells us why.
    I.R.

Default Hmm...

Alex, Chris,

Would like to post an excerpt of a chapter from the book in the SWJ mag and Blog with a link to Amazon on purchase. We've done this with two books so far - Tom Odom's Journey Into Darkness (Rwanda) and Bing West's No True Glory (Iraq).

Or if you prefer - an unique Blog entry or mag article on your experiences - I.R. too... Let me know - we would be proud to spread the word...

You can PM me here or e-mail...

Dave

Default The Saints

Oh, I know that bugger all too well Alex. I ordered a book through that set-up and received a damn Rugby Shirt. When I contacted him to get things sorted out, he asked me to work it out with the fellow who had received the book (The Rain Goddess - Stiff), but that other fellow wanted to keep the book. I got my money back, but only after considerable shuffling on their part. And then when I gave him a negative feedback on Egay for advertising Baddcock's Images of War as being Rhodesian in nature, I was made persona non grata for future auctions. Caveat emptor and all that I suppose.

I can understand delays, but if amazon tells me that I cannot receive a brand new book for another 6 months...I begin to worry.
    Hi Jon. Chris Cocks says to email him.He is baffled as stocks are plentiful...Alex his email = info@30degreessouth.co.za

Default hi

hello folks.. does this unit still recruits. foreinirs into this unit.. I am very excited.. let me know whats the max age for this.. quickly

Quote Originally Posted by baluraj007 View Post
    hello folks.. does this unit still recruits. foreinirs into this unit.. I am very excited.. let me know whats the max age for this.. quickly
    Since Rhodesia ended with the beginning of Zimbabwe, you are out of luck for this one.

Tom