I disagree with the assessments of CAP needing revision to apply to modern times. Yes, VBIEDs, such as the one used against the Marines in Beirut, are a problem; however, the Beirut example is a poor one due to the ROE the Marines were forced to observe in that situation. The VBIED threat can be mitigated by creating stand-off zones, picking suitable locations to reinforce, and by further creating and enforcing traffic laws and regulations. While others are trying to discover the Mr. Wizard way to defeat VBIEDs; how about installing traffic control devices, no parking zones, mass transit, and simple things like one-way streets. I know that this wouldnt cost $5 billion dollars, but it would employ hundreds of Iraqis to make the signs, post them, and then enforce the appropriate laws.

CAP most certainly works in an urban area. Anyone who has conducted urban combat knows how difficult it is to clear a building of a handful of determined foe, thus the idea of wiping out an entire USMC Platoon iby cutting it off is unrealisitc. Does community policing in the US work? Then why would CAP not work in Iraq? Everyone agrees that securing the population is the first priority. How does one do this without freedom of action and freedom of movement? How does one do this if Army organizations such as Movement Control restrict movement in a predictable manner to the same MSRs?

I also agree that the French colonial warfare method of pacification should be employed. Using widely dispersed units to pacify outward towards each other is a good idea.

I would argue that it maybe time to shift areas of operations between the Army and USMC. The Army can take Al Anbar, and the USMC can take Baghdad. I am not implying that there is a performance difference; however, I am suggesting that by shaking things up and giving the enemy something new to thing about might not be a bad thing. In addition, we need to adjust our expectations of the National Guard. Should we expect these folks to perform on the same level as the active duty peers? If they can perform as equals, then why have an expensive large standing army, why not just one we call up when we need it. It is obvious that too much is being expected of these folks. CAPs run by the USMC throughout the city could work.

In the end, whether we call it Small War, Irregular War, Peoples War, etc., it is all Maneuver Warfare. It is all about generating and controlling tempo in order to create advantages to be exploited by spatial and temporal maneuver. It is about being able to maneuver throught the OODA loop faster than your opponent. We need to get everyone on the same sheet of music.

The question remains - how do we attack the enemy COG - the ability to operate in the open without fear of detection or identification?