Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we securing the people?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DDilegge

Give the Marines a break
    My reply never meant to blame anyone. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Last edited by GorTex6; 11-20-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Default Tour should be open ended.

I am sure there has been some discussion about the current 7-month tour vs. a 1-year stint.
    I think the standard Marine tour of 7 months is definatly too short. A year would be better, but as a minimum. I think they should leave the ultimate completion date up to the experts on the ground: the Marine squad involved. If they become as invested in the people as Bing West describes in his book The Village, they may volunteer to stay longer, a request that should not be denied. They will also need to look into properly training individual replacements. A squad size element can be depleted fast if the situation is rough, especially in a city. There may not be enough time to train up a full squad replacement should the exisiting one become combat inefective. Such a switch would also destroy continuity between the teams and the local people.
    "The Infantry’s primary role is close combat, which may occur in any type of mission, in any theater, or environment. Characterized by extreme violence and physiological shock, close combat is callous and unforgiving. Its dimensions are measured in minutes and meters, and its consequences are final." - Paragraph 1-1, FM 3-21.8: Infantry Rifle PLT and SQD.

- M.A. Holzbach

DDilegge

Quote Originally Posted by GorTex6
    My reply never meant to blame anyone. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    No harm done, I thought the post was directed at USMC prepardness early on in OIF II, I probably misread your statement.

Related to this we've started establishing Provincial Reconstruction Teams in Iraq:

Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice made a surprise appearance at the inauguration of the Ninewa Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT).
    Rice established Iraq’s first Provincial Reconstruction Team on Veterans’ Day 2005, along with Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad; Deputy Regional Coordinator, Clarence Hudson; and Director of the National Coordination Team, Greg Bates.

The ceremony took place on Forward Operating Base Courage located in Mosul, Iraq, one day after the Ninewa PRT completed its initial training. This effort was lead by Bates and certified by Maj. Gen. Robert Heine, Iraqi Reconstruction Management Office Deputy Director for Operations.

This ceremony inaugurated the first of fifteen PRTs that will deploy across Iraq by next summer; two more PRTs are being fielded in Nov. to demonstrate a “proof of principle” and provide lessons for further implementation. The remaining 12 PRTs and one Regional Reconstruction Team (RRT) are scheduled for implementation by July 2006.

The PRT is designed to lead the effort to build capability and sustainability within Iraq’s provincial governments, eventually allowing them to function independent of Coalition assistance. This transition to Iraqi leadership will be achieved by developing a transparent and sustained capability to govern, increasing security and assuring rule of law, promoting political and economic development, and by providing provincial administration necessary to meet the basic needs of the population.

Accomplishing these efforts is essential a stable democracy evolving in Iraq and increased stability spreading throughout the Middle East.

“The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is fundamental to the success of the PRT in building capable and sustainable institutions for Iraq’s local and provincial governments,” said Col. Richard Jenkins, USACE Gulf Region North commander.

Major Mike Farrell is the USACE engineer officer assigned to the Ninewa PRT. When asked what was most significant to him personally, he said, “As a U.S. Army officer, I swore to support and defend the U.S. Constitution. Now, I have the opportunity to help implement a constitution and mentor fellow engineers on providing for their citizens’ basic needs.

Secretary of State Rice addresses the first Ninewa Provincial Reconstruction Team on Nov. 11, 2005. (GRD Photos by Polli Keller)

“The USACE has been fundamental in executing the Iraqi reconstruction program,” said Farrell. “Now, through PRT, we will be instrumental in helping the Iraqis learn to do it for themselves.”

Jenkins also stated the Iraqis are first in the planning and implementation of reconstruction efforts because it is their future and they have both the responsibility and the capability to make it work.

The reconstruction program has become the frontline in Iraq. Although insurgents have caused delays and damage -- both in lives and increased costs for the reconstruction effort -- the U.S. and Iraqi governments remain steadfast in their joint efforts to help rebuild Iraq. The formation of the PRT will help develop effective solutions to some of the challenges facing Iraq -- an important step as Iraq takes the lead in addressing their problems with the U.S. serving as a true partner, assisting in their efforts.