Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
Sure - conflicts aren't resolved in one sitting. That the Ukrainian and Russian governments are coming together to initiate talks is a good indicator that both sides prefer a negotiated settlement than continuing with Clausewitz's reciprocal actions until one or the other is destroyed. At some point, they will come to terms, whatever they determine those terms to be.

Probably. The problem is that the Russians are in a position where they can continue escalating the conflict with minimal internal costs.

No - but he could probably double the amount of Russian soliders operating in Ukraine.

Interesting you should say that and then also claim that Russian state control of the media distorts the public's perceptions of the actual costs to the state. So how do you reconcile those two points?

Things change for who?
A KGB guy initiating talks is not a good indicator that said KGB guy prefers a negotiated settlement, unless that settlement is to discuss surrender terms. But maybe the world has changed....no, it hasn't.

They can escalate only at the cost of committing the regular military and that has a very definite internal cost. There are only so many forces available, not to mention those filled body bags going east.

I don't remember claiming media distorts the Russian public's perceptions of the actual costs to the state. But there are many things I forget. But it does, that is true. But it is true also that they can only hide so much. When those body bags start coming home people are going to start talking amongst each other and amongst each other and the gloriousness of the endeavor may begin to fade. King Vlad may not look so good then

Like I said before, if all you are going to think about is what he can do to you, you won't win. You want to win? It is best to follow Grant's advice.